Which disk will my computer boot from after installing Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fairnymph, Dec 1, 2007.

1. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

I plan to install Leopard on one of my mac pro's hard drives that is NOT currently my boot disk. I will move everything in the new boot HD to other drives and do a clean install. However, I won't touch my current boot disk, which has Tiger installed.

After I install Leopard, when I restart...will I be offered which HD/OS I want to boot from? Or will it automatically boot from one disk, and if so, which one? I will want to boot into Leopard, and provided all is good, move stuff around.

I didn't know how to search for this topic; it's not a dual boot because each OS will be on a separate hard drive. And I've never installed an OS to a HD other than the current/previous boot disk, so I have simply no idea what to expect.

Somewhat off topic - apps like CS3, etc, will I need to reinstall these from disk? I presume I can't just copy them from my old application folder.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

When you computer restarts, hold down the option key immediately and you will be given the option to choose which disk to boot from.

3. fairnymph thread starter macrumors 6502

fairnymph

4. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Just click on the System Preferences, then click on Startup Disk, select the Hard drive you want to boot from, and it will boot from that HD until you change it. Apps such as CS3 must be installed from the CD or DVD.

5. fairnymph thread starter macrumors 6502

fairnymph

Actually, it won't let you select another drive to boot from.

But, it automatically booted into Leopard, so all is well.