Which Display Driver -- iMac 27", Bootcamp and Win 7

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Velin, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

After some troubleshooting, I finally was able to complete a Windows 7 32-bit bootcamp installation by deleting the NV and ATI Windows display drivers. After that, I ran the bootcamp driver update from the Snow Leopard disc.

The problem: the display looks like crap. The max resolution Windows Control Panel allows me to go to is something like 1900 x 1400, yet the monitor is capable of far higher resolution.

I tried installing a package of ATI's Windows 7 drivers, but there was no improvement. Windows device manager was no help.

This iMac has an ATI Radeon HD 4670. Can someone advise how to get Windows 7 and this ATI card to properly render the native resolution? Any specific instructions are appreciated. PS this kind of time-wasting nonsense is precisely the reason I left Windows and use Mac and OSX exclusively. But I now need Windows via bootcamp for one particular application. Hate Windows. Hate it.

2. joudbren macrumors regular

The ATI drivers from the AMD site are the ones you want but they don't install properly until you mod them. Go to the following site http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php and download the mod tool and then follow the Vista instructions further down the page. You don't need to disable UAC though in Win7 as it's much smarter than the Vista version. Once you've done this you'll have the Catalyst Control Panel working as well. Cheers!

James