which display for mac pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kuroneko, Mar 24, 2008.

1. kuroneko macrumors newbie

I'm buying a mac pro to use for video and image production. What display(s) do you recommend that are not too high end (less than $500, cheaper if possible).
    Are the Apple displays worth the money or is there something else out there that works just as well for less moolah?

kuroneko

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

to complement a Mac Pro you want a decent S-IPS TFT panel LCD. dont go for the cheaper TN panel. they have inaccurate colours and crappy refresh rates and contrast rates. they are usually low rez and glossy too.

go for a matte TFT panel LCD with a decent resolution like a Dell Ultrasharp or a Samsung. i have an ACD and even t hough they are a bit outdated they are definately worth the price. no dead pixels or yellow or pink colouring. the colours are just are unbelievable accurate and the image is so crisp. check out this thread for more info as im no expert on LCDs.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I was about to recommend that same thing. So, "+1" to that.

4. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

So you are saying the Dell UltraSharp has an S-IPS panel?

I read that it was pot luck, and most of them come with S-PVA?

5. kuroneko thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the speedy replies.

How do I find out what sort of panel a display has?

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yeah Dell 2408wfp had a S-PVA panel the 3008WFP has a S-IPS sorry.

heres a post on TFT panel types by model. its almost 2 years old so take it as a guide. the Ultrasharps are 2408wfp and 3008wfp now. the 22 inch Dell displays are TN.

7. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

For video and image production, I would highly recommend the Apple 30" ACD.

8. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

both Samsung & HP produce nice 30" monitors, or if you want to save some money take a look at Dell's 24" monitors :)

9. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject, but i would suggest reading up a LOT before buying.

Around 16 months ago i purchased 2 x Samsung 205BW. Lovely looking, especially as a pair. I went for the cheap option (£200 per monitor) at the time and this was a bad idea. I should have gone for the Dell Ultrasharp, it had better reviews, and since I have now SEEN it, I can confirm a much better picture.

Firstly the colors were inconsistent between the two screens which immediately indicated a lack of quality. The viewing angle is quite appalling, depending on the height of my chair, I sometimes get some pinkish white gradient on plain white (eg. websites).

Definitely put the money in for an ultrasharp, ACD or higher end samsung as they are worth it, especially if you use them as much as I do mine. If its a case of $50/$100 then save another few weeks and get what you really want.

10. kuroneko thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your help and advice. I just ordered my Mac Pro and a 23"ACD. The ACD should be here by next Tuesday and the Mac Pro in 7-10 days or so. I can't wait!

Thanks again,
    kuroneko