Which display in the ACD 20" price range

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seemiles, Feb 8, 2009.

1. seemiles macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am just about to make a purchase of a new monitor for work - which is graphic design (print + web) and I am having difficulty deciding between the ACD 20" and the Dell Ultrasharp 2408 WFP.

I have long got past my 'everything HAS to be Apple' stage and need some help as to what would be better in a real world scenario (based on my job).

As far as I can tell the Apple seems a good monitor but loses out in size (obviously) to the Dell (which also has the added benefit of being able to receive an additional 20% discount due to family working for them). Both seem to get great reviews.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

2. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Sounds like you just want someone to agree with you to go for the Dell :p

Seriously, go for the Dell. It's bigger and less expensive with your coupon. Only buy an ACD if you really really need everything to be Apple.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The Dell has a number issues, make sure you get the latest revision for print work.

I really wouldn't buy the ACD as you can get a 24" HP LP2475w for the same price which offers better colour than the Dell (IPS).

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Apple display has an IPS panel, while the Dell uses a MVA panel.

IPS > MVA

You decide.

5. seemiles thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Umbongo -for some reason the HP hadnt come up in my searches! Will definitely be looking at this after having a quick read through the specs!

Thanks all for replies- any further comments welcomed!

M

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I have several clients that do intensive graphics stuff. Nearly ALL of the displays I see are Apple Cinema Displays. I have spoken with many people about it who need high quality. Nearly everyone who has ever used an Apple Cinema Display refuses to move away from the ACD. Nearly everyone I have spoken with that use an ACD at work also have an ACD at home. I think that speaks volumes for the ACD.

Granted, the vast majority I see are 30" ACDs. The vast majority of those people can afford an ACD and my clients aren't hurting for money either. If you cannot afford the ACD, go with the Dell. You definitely will be buying an inferior monitor IPS vs NON-IPS. So if you can afford it, I would say the ACD is a better route.

I have a new 24" LED Backlit ACD with my MBA, and I think it's amazing. However, I don't do much to notice a difference. I like it because it matches the al MBA, it has speakers, three USB ports, a built in camera, and serves as a docking station for when I work at desk.

I can also say that I am amazed everytime I see an ACD, as the clarity seems stunning. When I see a large Dell display, amazing or stunning are not the words to describe but rather "big."

Any way you can use them both to see the differences before buying? One last consideration is the ACDs are due for an update. When Apple updates its desktop Macs, it will probably update the ACDs. And the new 24" LED backlit ACD was designed for the Mac notebooks. So, the "desktop" ACDs could be new sizes, better prices, or all around higher quality displays for the same money. I guess it could be as many as four months when Mac Pros are updated before the new ACDs are updated. Everything is a guess at this point. Could be Tuesday, could be next year.

Good luck with your decision, and best wishes whichever display you go with.

7. pigglywiskers macrumors newbie

8. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I looked into this but it only has hdmi as an input

9. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

I use a dvi - hdmi adaptor for my HP w2408h with no issues :). Is this a problem? (Plus i have a secondary vga input which is good to save space with two systems)

10. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Not sure where you got your info but that is incorrect.

"(2) DVI-I, (1) HDMI, and (1) DisplayPort with HDCP support, (1) Component Video, (1) S-Video, and (1) Composite Video" are the connections.

11. seemiles thread starter macrumors newbie

HP LP2475w connection question

Thanks for all the replies. the HP is looking a very strong contender right now - mainly due to the extra size. From what I can gather, and what I would use the monitor for, the monitors (Apple and HP) seem of similar qualities.

My question is how would the monitor connect to a new uni-body MBP with mini displayport. It seems the HP has DVI-I, but the adaptor apple sells is a DVI-D to Mini Displayport.

Before going ahead with the purchase, could someone help out as to how to connect the two successfully...
    thanks

UPDATE - If I were to buy (and this is what i am led to believe the solution is elsewhere) a DVI-D cable this would still work....?

12. eugenio01 macrumors newbie

not dell

we have all dell monitors in the office - about 3 years old. All have dead pixels, about 5-6 each.

You should look at Acer or LG. They'd be as competitive in price as the dell with the discount.

13. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

They do connect correctly (there are posts on this forum confirming it). You are correct that it is the DVI-D $29 adapter you need.

14. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

As somebody who has done extensive colour work in light controlled environments with both Apple and Dell displays I will back you up on this.

The Dell displays are fine for all but top end work. For every day usage they are great but for graphic use I would really go with the ACD.

15. spacemanps macrumors regular

spacemanps

hey all you guys that voted for the dell..... Im just a normal student looking for a new 24 inch monitor to replace my acer 19, i was looking at the Dell S2409W Full HD Monitor.... would this be a good choice for me?

16. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Yeah, you'll have no problem with that. It's a very capable monitor for your type of usage. I'd wager that you wouldn't notice the difference unless you had the two side by side doing specific tasks. The new Dell will be just fine for you.

17. spacemanps macrumors regular

spacemanps

can the dell monitor be mounted? i have an lcd arm and i would like to put it on there....

oh and the monitor dropped in price by 10 dollars today!! yay1