Which Display should i get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OdduWon, Nov 10, 2007.

1. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

I am getting a 15" MBP and am trying to find a Display with the right combination of adjustability, size, and function.
    I have been looking at these two dell displays:
    "UltraSharp 1708FP 17 in Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand"
    "207WFP 20" Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor"

-Both are $249, and have DVI/VGA connections.
    --The 17" comes with a adjustable stand ( height, swivel, tilt), and 4 usb ports.
    --the 20" only has a tilt. i think the 20" is a higher resoultion though.
    Which is the best deal? will the 20" work with small Vram cards? (>64mb). I can't tell which will work better for small studio. :confused:

$300 is the upper limit and it must have DVI & VGA connections. Suggestions :)

2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

I don't see how you couldn't choose the 20"... if you're worried about height adjustment, put a book under it. Of course it will work with a 64MB card.

3. sndcj1 macrumors member

The only other thing to keep in mind, is the Ultra Sharps are the 24bit panels, the other panels are the 18bit TN panels. This may not be an issue, but since you said "studio" in your post...

4. sdschwendener macrumors regular

pay 309.00 and get a samsung 22 inch. I would never pay 200 for anything smaller than 19 inch. I have the 226bw and it is beautiful. Tilts very well. Solid made shiny black frame with 1680x1050 res. Look here
    [​IMG]

5. ivan1234 macrumors regular

get the larger one, i think you can never have enough screen space :cool:

6. OdduWon thread starter macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

Saw those at bestbuy, they look good and they are cost effective. Considering as an option.

7. Sannekita macrumors regular

Sannekita

Samsung displays are great and have a good quality-price relation

8. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Of your choices, I'd get the 20" Ultrasharp. It's got a better panel.

Although, my Dad did just get a 226BW like the other poster here and it is a nice display for a TN Panel. That might be an option as it would get you another 2 inches.

With something like this, if you have a local Best Buy near you, go pick up the 226BW and try it out. BB has a great return policy if within 14 days for displays I believe, no questions asked. See how you like it. It'll be harder to return the Dell from Online....I think they have a restocking fee.

-Kevin

9. OdduWon thread starter macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

The I don't know what the TN stands for, so perhaps it dosen't matter:p. But enlightenment is welcome.
    The Panel is for my studio space at school, so space is limited. Versatility/screen space for this application. Anyone know of good wall mount+monitor combos?

10. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

Out of interest, can a 17" MBP be used with a 30" Apple Display?

11. thagomizer macrumors 6502

Yes.