Which display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by StephenAcworth, Dec 9, 2011.

1. StephenAcworth macrumors member

Help! I currently use a maxed out mid-2009 17" MacBook Pro and I need more screen space for the work I am doing. My problem is that it is logical to go with the Thunderbolt display (for future use) but I cannot use the MBP with it. If I get the non-Thunderbolt display, then when I upgrade the MacBook (sometime in 2012) I have a non-compatable display. This really irks me... and I don't want to go down the iMac route.

Any ideas???

Thanks guys!!!

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the Thunderbolt plug was backwards compatible with the mini-displayport plug. That is, I thought you could plug a Thunderbolt display into your 2009 MBP with no problem, although you wouldn't be able to daisy-chain a few of them.

3. StephenAcworth thread starter macrumors member

I tried that...

I thought so too, so tried it at a Mac dealer and the Thunderbolt display just didn't work...

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Man that's a bummer.

One small thing to note: if you use something like gfxCardStatus to force your computer to always use integrated video (I do this when I'm on battery), external displays apparently won't connect properly (at least on my machine).

Any chance that was the case when you tried it?

5. StephenAcworth thread starter macrumors member

not that I am aware...

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Ok, well, that pretty much blows. I suppose if you had the cash you could get an old ACD or a nice big Dell monitor, then when you upgrade your MBP sell off the other equipment and get the Thunderbolt display.

7. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

It was my understanding that the Thunderbolt displays are NOT backward compatible, which is why they are still selling the standard LED Cinema displays. The Mac Pros still do not have Thunderbolt on them, so they needed something to go with them, as well as older machines.

Edit: For non-Apple choices, Dell makes a 27" Ultrasharp that is basically the same panel as the TB Display, except it is non-glossy. Some people have reported they don't like the anti-glare coating on that panel, though. Personally, I really like the Dell Ultrasharps, and I use a 22" version on my Mini.

8. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Actually, you CAN use the LED Cinema Display (the older 27" model) on Thunderbolt-compatible Macs. You can in fact use any mini displayport (or, with the proper cabling/converter, DVI) monitor device on a Thunderbolt Mac.

What you cannot do, like others have stated already, is use the Thunderbolt Display on a non-Thunderbolt computer. It just won't work, you won't get a picture on the screen no matter what.

So you could absolutely buy the Cinema Display and use it with your current Mac now, and then continue using the same monitor when you choose to upgrade your computer in the future. The image quality is pretty much 100% identical between the two monitors, the CD is a bit brighter at max setting, but even the TBD is so bright you'd be nuts to run it at full blast...

Good luck!

9. StephenAcworth thread starter macrumors member

Ordered!

Thanks for all your advice, guys: ordered the Cinema Display...:)