• Macbook Pro

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

Eatsleepdrivesc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
Hi all,

I need some help. I currently have a decision to make and got it wrong in my other thread, I now have only these two options. Long story short, My parents bought me the 13 incher and they own the 12 incher.

Which do I get?

A Brand new base level 2017 13 inch Macbook pro without touchbar. (128gb, 8gb, i5 2.3 ) with AppleCare Plus for full 36 months

Or

A used but in very good condition 2017 Macbook 12 inch. (256gb, 16gb, i7 1.4) with AppleCare plus for another 28 months.

I really don't know which one is best. Anyone with insight would be very much appreciated.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
Glad to help. But really do need to better understand your use case. For me, I carry my MB everywhere and few sophisticate computed needs. So for me the MB is best. But my wife does graphic rendering and 3d modeling. The pro is best for her.

infernoguy

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Hi all,

I need some help. I currently have a decision to make and got it wrong in my other thread, I now have only these two options. Long story short, My parents bought me the 13 incher and they own the 12 incher.

Which do I get?

A Brand new base level 2017 13 inch Macbook pro without touchbar. (128gb, 8gb, i5 2.3 ) with AppleCare Plus for full 36 months

Or

A used but in very good condition 2017 Macbook 12 inch. (256gb, 16gb, i7 1.4) with AppleCare plus for another 28 months.

I really don't know which one is best. Anyone with insight would be very much appreciated.
I've had both and it depends on your needs. I had the 2017 rMBP 13 but it wasn't portable enough so I wen with the 2017 rMB since I already have a 15 inch at home for more processor intensive tasks.

Eatsleepdrivesc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
Glad to help. But really do need to better understand your use case. For me, I carry my MB everywhere and few sophisticate computed needs. So for me the MB is best. But my wife does graphic rendering and 3d modeling. The pro is best for her.
All I do is watch youtube, do some simple word and powerpoint assignments, surf the web. I don't really plan on playing any games or anything really intensive. It will 95% be used in my home and brought to the living room, bedroom, bathroom.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
All I do is watch youtube, do some simple word and powerpoint assignments, surf the web. I don't really plan on playing any games or anything really intensive. It will 95% be used in my home and brought to the living room, bedroom, bathroom.
For what you plan on using the computer for, I would go with the MacBook. If you were doing photo/video editing, then I would say go with the Pro.

Reactions: Never mind

EugW

macrumors 604
Jun 18, 2017
Just try using them both for a while. Personally I'd recommend the 12" MacBook for the portability. Mind you, the i7, the 16 GB, and maybe even the 256 GB is overkill for you, by the sounds of it.

The only advantage of the 13" here for you would be more workspace for PowerPoint, but I do PowerPoint on my 12" MacBook just fine.

Reactions: Never mind