Which do you prefer? Old or new? (if leaked case pictures are true)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Oct 12, 2008.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

definitely the new case
    The old MBP/PB case has been the same for too many years
    it needed a redesign

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

You cant tell yet. Depending how it all looks together, maybe the new one. But I honestly hate that chicklet keyboard and the OD on the right side of the notebook. And the ports all on one side isnt great either. I like the current case, but we will have to wait and see what happens on Tuesday.

4. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

i like the aluminum grey of the old macbook pro's but that could change until new pics come out or tuesday :)

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

well considering from what we've seen so far.

The new MBP design isn't that radically different from the old MBP. It's just had some nice improvements, although some will disagree on the basis on the keyboard, I do like the new magnetic latch.

So it's really a toss up between the two.

What do people think of gunmetal? I love the current aluminium color, but I think gunmetal would really really really look amazing.

6. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

i dont see a HUGE drastic change from the mbp design.
    i mean, i can see where the macbook changes, but the pro...i see a couple speed bumps, a new graphics chip, but i dont think anything major would come along till the new year.

although...thats how i feel.
    i do however...hope to see an exciting "one more thing".
    i love being thrown back.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I love the "chicklet" keyboard from the MacBook. I now have a MacBook Pro. I can't wait to see the new design this Tuesday. I won't buy the new ones though until Nehalem and Snow Leopard.

By then the redesign will have gone through a revision or two. Less chance of being a beta tester :p

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Since I dislike the chiclet keys, I'd have to say I like the current design.

9. Yixian macrumors 65816

Meh, it's basically identical. I would like a black bezel around the screen, would be quite nice on the eyes, and I like chicklet keyboards, but otherwise it could have been but more interesting imo. Annodized alu in different colours would have been nice, along with a glass trackpad and Apple logo.

Ah well.

10. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

i would prefer no black bezel. I don't find the aluminium border aroudn the screen distracting at all. Maybe the white plastic on the macbook yes, but the alumiunium is perfect. I wouldn't want a strip of black plastic there.

I hope Apple doesn't change the design for change sake, but at least there be a functionality to it. at least with the aluminium, Apple chose the color hue as the one which would less interfere with onscreen color.

That said, anodized alu should be limited to the macbooks, making it a distinct consumer product.

11. StayAlive macrumors newbie

Gunmetal would look awesome. I'm hoping that the Macbooks/Pros will have at least two colors to choose from, although I doubt it.

12. yoppie macrumors 6502a

New. I have a black MacBook and while it's better than white (IMO), I would have chosen an aluminum one if offered.

I was considering purchasing a MacBook Air next year but now that the new MacBooks will be aluminum, I don't know. I'll definitely be tuned into all the reviews that are sure to come out with this new release.

13. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

For MacBook's I prefer the new one. The plastic was to fragile and it cracked easily with the heat.

For the MacBook Pro I prefer the old design with the MB keys in any other color than black.

14. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

I personally like the looks so far of both of the new ones, but am not liking where :apple: is going in terms of features.

So I would have to say the current for both overall, because:
    a) MB currently has Firewire, new doesn't seem to (EPIC FAIL)
    b) MBP currently has DVI-DL, new doesn't seem to (FAIL)
    c) The new ones are EVEN THINNER, which is a SUPER EPIC FAIL in terms of heat management. When my MB is normally running at ~140 F, and most PC laptops are AT LEAST 20-40 degrees cooler, there is a problem. And that isn't even for the MBP's, which I have little experience with.

So, while I like the looks of the Aluminum and the chiclet keys for the MBP, the potential trade-offs in terms of features cut make me stick with the current gen. We shall see on tuesday if I am correct in saying this, but c'mon :apple:. Don't cut features in the name of thin-ness and light weight. When I can take a dump and drop the difference in weight between my MB and, say, a MBA, the difference is not enough to make me care.

15. azharc macrumors member

I don't like the new design unfortunately. The current design looks like it was thought through thoroughly, while this looks like just a rushed improvement to a classic design.

Never liked the chicklet keyboard, other than that the new speaker grills and the power button being in an odd place. All the ports on the left (why?) and the optical drive going on the right side? Don't see why the changes make for a better experience. And agree with the FAIL(s) posted above ^

However, I'll wait until they're actually released before making my opinion concrete.

16. scott85213 macrumors member

I'm looking forward to the chiclet design. My old MBP collected a lot of random junk under the keys and it isn't too easy to clean. With chiclets, that problem is pretty much eliminated.

17. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

i like where apple is going and deff the Magnetic latch

but for the people who like the old one
    ~~It is just a powerbook with a hole in it for the iSight come on its time for a change

dont get me wrong i loved the old ones you see it and its just like wow an apple but it needs to go away

18. azharc macrumors member

I agree, but if Apple is going to change the design, I'd rather it be better than the old design, in this case, I believe it isn't.

19. jontucker macrumors 6502

I think you people are ridiculous for believing that you can judge the difference between the old and new when you've seen less than 50% of the new design.

So there!

20. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

u cant

21. James17 macrumors 6502

The images we are seeing don't really say to me it's radically different from the MacBook Pro I'm using at the moment. I was hoping for some major change. I still think I will get the new MBP on Tuesday but I am interested to see the new MacBook too.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree about the chiclet keys.

However, I will wait until I see one in person before deciding if I like the new design or not.

23. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

I like the old design but it would have been a smarter choice if apple made the edges like the macbook air and made it thinner. but thats my opinion.

24. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Couldn't agree more, this thread is kind of loony actually.

25. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

New macbook case! The old one gave me emo cuts at school when leaning over the edge at school!:D