Which drive & set-up

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by salacious, Jul 4, 2012.

1. salacious macrumors 6502a

2. frozi macrumors member

I think you should be looking to invest in thunderbolt or USB 3.0

3. alph45 macrumors member

your first link is a raid, the second is just an external HD. if you don't know anything about raid's, why do you think you need one? An external HD is just fine for editing. raid's either redundantly back themselves up or increase speed, just not at the same time.

in regards to TB or usb3, that depends on the computer your running. If your buying a new mbp that makes sense to look into, but if your on a 2011 or earlier, FW800 is the most cost-effective solution and is fast enough for the majority of editing tasks.

4. handsome pete macrumors 68000

It depends on the content that will be edited. Format, resolution, framerate, how many continuous streams, etc. There are many things that play a part in performance.

So while an single external drive may be fine for some, you're usually better off with some sort of RAID configuration. There are variants that offer both redundancy and performance increases.

The link you posted is a RAID0 (striped volume). You would likely see performance benefits over the single disk unit you also linked to, but keep in mind that since it houses 2 separate drives, you're doubling your risk of losing all your data. Because if one drive fails, the entire volume has been lost.

5. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

any normal firwwire 800 drive will do,

I would buy from owc to be honest.

Well get the bare cace they have then buy a harddrive off newegg.

it saves money in the long run and has none of that raid junk, Raid is over rated.

6. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

This is the drive I purchased strictly for video editing purposes.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-FireWire-Ultra-Portable-STBB500100/dp/B004LB4N0C

Since my iMac is a late 2010 model, FireWire 800 was the best I could do and it works just fine. 7200RPM is something you definitely want / need when editing.

I'm in the market for another drive for my new MBP and I might just buy another one of the drives mentioned above so I can swap between the iMac and MBP.

7. carestudio macrumors 6502

what about a Caldigit VR2 8TB? it can support Apple's latest USB3 and also FireWire, eSATA...
    http://www.caldigit.com/uk/store-uk.asp#VR

I am very pleased with this RAID storage