Which drive should go in my optical bay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pngwyn, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Pngwyn macrumors regular

So I have a stock (hitachi, I believe) 500GB 7200RPM drive in my 2011 MBP, and just purchased a Scorpio Black 750GB WD HD as well as an Optibay to replace the superdrive.

I am just wondering which HD I should put in which port? I read the optibay is only SATA2 while the HD bay is SATA3 (?), but I'm not completely sure what that means.

The scorpio read/write is faster than the hitachi, and I believe I read somewhere that you want to put the fastest drive in the main slot, however the extra 250GB space the WD drive has would work nicely as my scratch drive for video editing if the speed difference isn't going to be noticeable.

Any input would be appreciated!

2. six.four macrumors 6502

There is no speed increase/decrease from SATA 2/3 for a standard platter drive. Different story if you had an SSD.

3. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Might as well put the Black in the optibay since it has build in SMS and the stock drive doesnt, it depends on the main bay sms...

4. Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

Can you please explain? What does SMS have to do with being in the main bay vs optibay?

Is it because the Black having SMS in the main bay will interfere with the macbook's built in SMS? I was under the impression that this could be disabled with no negative impacts.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The opposite, in fact: there is no SMS in the OptiBay, so a drive that doesn't have SMS will be in danger every time the computer is moved while turned on.

jW

6. Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

Is SMS really something to be concerned about? I am not 100% sure whether or not the Hitachi stock drive has SMS or other shock protection or not.

Exactly how much "danger" is involved with a drive with no SMS? Is the entire HD at risk for breaking with a small bump?

7. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_Motion_Sensor

Yes its better to have one

So if you accidentally drop your MBP, the drive in the optibay will have a higher chance of breaking.

8. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

According to Western Digital website the 750GB Scorpio Black does not have a free fall sensor. Keep it in the stock hard drive position and place the SSD in the optical bay.

9. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

10. terzinator macrumors 6502

So the Free-Fall Sensor capabilities are in the bay? Meaning the WD Black will react to a free fall in the stock bay?

Not sparring, just don't know the answer.

11. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    double protection i guess - lol

12. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

OH and be careful! If you buy a Hard Drive that comes with its own SMS, and you put the drive in the original hard drive location, you have to disable the SMS in the mac or if you move your computer, it will cause a kernel panic!