Which drives for the Synology DS213+?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, May 23, 2013.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

2. technowar macrumors 6502

I would prefer WD Red because they are made specifically for NAS. At least that's what they advertised. That's WD20EFRX for 2.0TB and WD30EFRX for 3.0TB.

3. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I'll second the WD Red but also have a look at the Hitachi Deskstars as that's also a NAS drive, might be worth mixing the drives just in case one model has an inherent fault so you don't lose all your data at once(this is assuming you'll be running 2 4TB drives in RAID1) but if you're going to be going RAID0 then I'd say get the same cause that way if they fail they at least might fail at the same time :p

4. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

I also like the Hitachi drives. I have had zero issues with the six I run.

5. Ifti macrumors 68000

I run WD Reds. No problems whatsoever and very happy with noise and performance.

6. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Taking your space requirements into account, and combined with the fact that I won't suggest RAID0 for any NAS storage, don't bother with the WD Red, because they don't make 4TB drives in that line yet.

Any of the drives in that list should be fine. That's what the list is for, after all. It's a list of drives that Synology has verified as being supported with that NAS unit. However, if you're superstitious enough to believe all of the remarks about various brands that are all anecdotal at best, then I would go with one of the 4TB Hitachi drives listed, because those appear to have the least amount of negative remarks about them everywhere (but one could argue that it's because they haven't sold as many too, so I guess it doesn't matter in the end, or depends on who you talk to.)

If you're dead set on Red's, then you will need more than 2 drive bays, because running RAID0 in a device you're probably going to depend on for backups is not a wise idea.

7. hajime, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013

hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. What is the model number of the Hitachi drive you guys have been talking about?
    Do you mean: Hitachi (HGST) 2TB SATA6Gb/s 7200rpm 64M (HUA723020ALA640) eSATA drive?

As for the NAS itself, it seems that there are two versions:
    2GHz, 512MB single core and 1.067GHz Duo core 512MB
    Which one is better?

Thanks.

8. Giuly, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

You might want to take a look at the 3TB Seagate Barracuda as well - 7200RPM, $11 more than the WD Red but 50% more storage. It's also on Synology's official list of supported hard drives.

If you don't have a Mac Pro with dual Ethernet ports, the DS213 (2GHz Single-Core) will be as good as the DS213+ (1.06GHz Dual-Core and two Ethernet ports for link aggregation).

9. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

For the DS213 and DS213+, do I have to use two bays at the same time? Can I just get a 3 or 4TB drive and put it in a bay now and then add another one later?

10. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

You can install one drive at a time. Depending on what you need a NAS for dictates how drives should be installed. Mirrored drives are good for redundancy but don't eliminate the need for external backups. I use mine for media files that aren't that hard to reconstruct so I'm not concerned about fail safe.