Which DV camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Monkaaay, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Monkaaay macrumors 6502

Monkaaay

I'm looking around for a camera that will do high-def in the $1,000 range. My first thought was to get something that went to a hard drive so I could just feed it directly into the computer for editing.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a camera in my price range?

2. 66217 Guest

The Canon HV20 seems to fit in your description perfectly.

Except for the HDD thing, the Canon HV20 is MiniDV, which for editing is much better.

Also look at the Sony HDR-HC7, also MiniDV.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Just to nitpick, the Canon and Sony that you listed are HDV. Yeah, they use the same tapes, but they are really different formats.

ft

4. xfoo macrumors newbie

what is your primary use for the camera ( family vacation, home movies, Indy films, ECT.)

5. Monkaaay thread starter macrumors 6502

Monkaaay

6. lfielder06 Guest

I personally just grabbed the hv20 from circuit city for $970 USD after tax and I couldn't be happier. Since you are only going to do interviews you might want to check out the hv10 very similar to the hv20, but about $300 cheaper. The hv10 doesn't have some of the bells and whistles the hv20 does and might not perform as well in low light, but for interviews where you can adjust the light accordingly it should work great.

7. movingrushmore macrumors newbie

movingrushmore

Sony Hc1

You might also look around on ebay. You might get a good deal on something like a sony hc1 which is a great little hdv camera.

8. dreamkidz macrumors newbie

i had the hv20 for one day and I took it back/ it has awesome images in well litted r

i like the hv20 however it has poor image quality in low light/ that is one of the major set backs for me/ if I was you I would buy the xh a1/
    you will be better off in the future

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

umm yeah.. all cameras in that price range aren't going to be great in low light. That's why you need to buy a $3500 XH-A1 to get decent low light performance. However, most people who are buying an HV20 can't afford/don't need/don't know how to use the features on a XH-A1.

10. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Canon HV20 = Joy

I just got this for my birthday in late August - you do have to use HD MiniDV tapes with it (I use the ones from Sony), which are more expensive than standard MiniDV tapes. But picture quality - wow. I did some filming in the Monterey Bay Aquarium (low light, but not near dark) that looks stunning. It's also almost as small as my digital camera. Can't say enough good things about this camera, but you will want to get a UV filter for the lens (Hoya makes a 39mm UV filter on Amazon), otherwise the way it is designed the lens cover is a tad on the weak side.