Which DVD drive to chose for my PowerPC G4

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Wouter3, May 22, 2019.

1. Wouter3 macrumors member

Hi, I have a PowerPC G4 1.25 GHZ with a broken superdrive. I like to install a new internal ATA/IDE drive, but the ones on eBay have the front with eject button. In the iMac G4 the front is off and to eject the drive you need to push the eject button from the keyboard. My question is: "Can I buy a normal internal ATA/IDE superdrive, take of the front and install it in the G4 iMac. Will the eject through the keyboard work?
    Or do I need to buy an "Apple G4 capable DVD drive"?

2. mikehalloran macrumors 65816

Yes. You will need to remove or swap out faceplates. Been awhile since I’ve done it but it’s not hard.

3. Wouter3 thread starter macrumors member

Great, that is good to know. I can now buy a drive on eBay. Thanks

4. rnasg macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. Can you offer advice on how to switch the faceplate?

5. Wouter3 thread starter macrumors member

I have done that. It works. Thanks

6. rnasg macrumors newbie

Thank you, but you did not answer my question. I am looking for instructions for how to switch out the faceplate.

7. Wouter3 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I read too quickly over your post. I took the drive apart, which is not the way to do it. You should first open the bay. Then you should be able to remove the face plate of the extended bay by sliding it up or down. When that is off, you should be able to remove the front cover. How that is fixed to the main metal housing is probably different for each manufacturer. The crux is to first remove the small face plate that comes out with the DVD. Hope you manage well.