Which DVD format should I use to burn home movies?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Afro1989, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Afro1989 macrumors 6502a

Hey, just wondering if DVD-R is the most universal, most compatible DVD format that I should be using to burn all of my videos. I don't need to re-write anything, just need to write the DVD once and be able to play it on the most amount of DVD players from now until 40 years from now.

Thanks! :D

2. MTI macrumors 65816

I think your only real limitation on what media to use (DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD +/-R) is what is compatible with your playback deck.

BTW, 40 years ago in the late 60's reels of mag tape was the prefered method of computer data storage. ;)

3. Fishtalk macrumors regular

Use .avi that way you can play it on the computer and on a DVD player
    (as long the player surports .Mpeg 4 or DiVix) the old DVD players wont work.... but 40 years from now...who knows

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

In 40 years I doubt even Blu-ray will be still around, but DVD-R should be fine for your described use. DVD-RW and DVD-R should have the same compatibility, though. :)

5. spice weasel macrumors 65816

If you are really interested in archiving your media for the long-haul, then use whatever format currently works but also keep a high-quality (preferably losslessly encoded) original that you can always use to migrate your data. Because we're not only talking about keeping up with the latest physical media (optical discs, hard drives, SSD drives, etc.), but also file formats.

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

my thoughts exactly.

there is no better solution than keeping a digital copy in a couple places. your hard drive, your backup, on a server, wherever.

i would feel a lot more safe having multiple copies of important family videos than having a DVD R or two.

does anyone remember cartridges? you had to put them in a special VHS tape adaptor to play on the TV?

imagine how hard it is to find something to play that now.

i'm sure DVD's are different, but they can get scratched very easily. be safe with your memories man.

this is coming from someone who's entire family video collection was lost due to improper storage :(

7. MTI macrumors 65816

VHS-C

Think of all the backup systems that have come and gone . . . audio cassettes, floppies, bernoulli drives, streaming tape formats, zip disks . . . all dependent on hardware device platforms and media that was just as fragile.

Even today, dual layer DVD offers 8GB . . . but where will the hardware be in a few years? Recently I had to ressurect some data that was accessed on devices with proprietary interface card, so that meant a browse through eBay to locate the parts. Every now and then I have to break out an Adaptec SCSI card (plus the cables and terminators) to attach some ancient and arcane data device.

8. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

40 years is a bit optimistic for a disk to survive! (unless it is written to and stored safely and never used)

Anyway if you want compatibility I recomend one thing. taiyo yuden. Pay more for a decent disk and be happy.

As for +r or -r remeber both are now officialy part of the dvd spec! +r's seem to be slightly more compatible in various things from what I have experience. And to be honest most incompatibility these days is not to do with being -r or +r but people using cheap nasty media.