Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
intent said:
Hi,

I've never burnt DVDs before, so I'm wondering about which type of DVDs I'm supposed to buy for my new Powerbook's Superdrive?

Thanks,

Chris

The PowerBook's not the limiting factor. The player you'll be using the DVD in is the important part.

Some are very picky, but they should say (somewhere) which formats they'll play.

To my knowledge, no format doesn't work with a new Superdrive.

intent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Sackville, NB or Burnaby, BC
chucknorris said:
The PowerBook's not the limiting factor. The player you'll be using the DVD in is the important part.

Some are very picky, but they should say (somewhere) which formats they'll play.

To my knowledge, no format doesn't work with a new Superdrive.

Which format would be best for playback on normal DVD players, and which would be best for data storage?

Thanks,

Chris

Kalinatek

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2005
intent said:
Which format would be best for playback on normal DVD players, and which would be best for data storage?

Thanks,

Chris

Get the 4.7GB Dvd-R's since they r supported on most home dvd players (more than the dvd+r) , i've burnt like 10 dvds on my iMac G5 it supports all types of dvds (-r +r and rw) , if u want to burn data then like erase the disc get some dvd rw's but they r expensive!

hope that helps

P.S: go for quality blanks like TDK :cool: i've been using them for 3 years now.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
intent said:

Thanks,

Chris

-R are supposedly better in standalone DVD sets. As for data, I'm not too sure. Personally, I use -R, but I have used +R before and haven't noticed a difference between the two. I go for a combination of name brand and price.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I agree with all the above posters, make sure you get some decent brand DVD-R's, some brands to stick with would be:

-TDK
-Verbatmin
-Datawrite
-Maxell

Dont go for any of the cheap brands as they are simply not as reliable, and not as compatible,

Shadow

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
shadowmoses said:
I agree with all the above posters, make sure you get some decent brand DVD-R's, some brands to stick with would be:

-TDK
-Verbatmin
-Datawrite
-Maxell

Dont go for any of the cheap brands as they are simply not as reliable, and not as compatible,

Shadow

I've never had any problems with Memorex or RiData

robx2

macrumors member
May 27, 2005
I agree with the other posts. You can burn to DVD+R's now, but I've had much better results and much better compatibility with -Rs.

A great resource to see what will work best with your DVD player is videohelp.com's list at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers. It will tell which formats will play on your player and lots of users will post which brands of recordable media will work and won't work on individual players.

As someone who shows his short documentary films at a number of different locations, I always bring a +R copy and a -R copy as well as a VHS (Gasp!) in case all else fails.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
shadowmoses said:

-TDK
-Verbatmin
-Datawrite
-Maxell

Shadow

I'm going to have to say no on Maxell. I bought a spindle if 8x Maxell DVD-Rs, and my Powerbook's 8x superdrive refuses to burn them above 2x, and others here have said that it's possibly the brand, not a bad drive. Supposidley, the ones Apple sells are rebranded Verbatims, so I'm going to stick with those from now on.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I find most brands ok. I have lots of video DVDs, with home movies and whatnot. Some are 2-3 years old, and they are still great, including off-brand DVD+RWs.

Still, I try to stick with particular brands or product that gets consistently good reviews on DVD media review sites.

lordj4000

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2005
In unfathomable darkness
yg17 said:
I'm going to have to say no on Maxell. I bought a spindle if 8x Maxell DVD-Rs, and my Powerbook's 8x superdrive refuses to burn them above 2x, and others here have said that it's possibly the brand, not a bad drive. Supposidley, the ones Apple sells are rebranded Verbatims, so I'm going to stick with those from now on.

Actually, the problem here is the crappy drives apple uses in their powerbooks. If you look around online, you will find a lot of people having problems with their superdrive. Myself, i've tried 4 different spindles of 4 different brands and only one would go 8x. And that one was Maxell.

And i agree with everyone else, use quality media.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.