Which dvi-adapter for a MBP 2012?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mortenjensen, Mar 19, 2012.

1. mortenjensen macrumors regular

2. simsaladimbamba

Both will work, the one with HDCP is for playing back copy-protected media like BluRays on the external display. If you don't do that, the 219 kroner one will be fine.

3. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the swift reply!

I guess, I don't need that at the moment. But since there is only 2 usd in difference, maybe I should choose the HDCP-one?

Are there now drawbacks this one being produces by apple, for example?

Morten

4. simsaladimbamba

No drawbacks, as far as I know. Apple does not make the best adapters and Moshi is highly regarded. If you look at Monoprice and its prices for similar adapters, you see, that Apple and Moshi make rather expensive ones though.

5. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

6. simsaladimbamba

You could, but since I haven't heard from any of those manufacturers, I can't vouch for them. There are still a lot of threads, where someone bought a too cheap adapter and it didn't work properly.
    While the Monoprice adapters are also relatively cheap compared to Apple and Moshi, they have been proven to work the best out of the cheap bunch.

It is entirely up to you, if you buy from Amazon and if those adapters can be returned, in case they are faulty.
    As I hardly buy online, I prefer to pay cash, I have bought my two adapters from a store, they were both Apple adapters and they haven't let me down yet.

Doesn't Elgiganten have some adapters you could look at or are you living too far away from one of their stores (Ribe has none?)?

7. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

No, they only sell apple's own stuff.

Just one thing: I see now that it is called "mini display port" for the air-model.

Is that something different than what I have on a regular MBP 15 inch 2012-model?

Morten

8. simsaladimbamba

No.

9. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

FYI, I use a Mini DP to HDMI adapter, plus an HDMI to DVI cable. What this buys me is the ability to use the same adapter when connecting to TVs (in addition to monitors) and send audio through the same cable, plus a cable that I can use to connect a monitor to other computers with HDMI out, or even other HDMI devices.

Just seems like you wind up with an adapter and a cable that are both a little more flexible.

For adapters I’m using a Kanex:

http://www.amazon.com/Kanex-iAdapt-...FIBS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1332170760&sr=8-5

Important to get the V2 for audio support.

For cables, always Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10231&cs_id=1023102&p_id=2218&seq=1&format=2

(6’ version, 3’ and longer available as well)

10. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

Hi again!

I see your point there, about the hdmi-solution.

I just checked to see, if my MPB has a bluray drive. This does not seem to be the case! It is called a SuperDrive.

Had it been blueray, it would have been great with a hdmi-solution.

Hmm - would you know if I am mistaken here? I actually thought that the new MBP came with BR.

Morten

11. simsaladimbamba

No Mac comes with BluRay drives, and no Mac will ever do so.

12. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

:D
    why is that?
    Not that it matters a great deal to me, but why would that not be nice since it is the standard of the day?
    Morten

13. simsaladimbamba

According to Steve Jobs, "BluRay is a bag of hurt" and Apple is abandoning distribution via optical media, as you can see from the Mac App Store (MAS) and Lion being downloadable and the MBA and current Mac mini.