Which DVI cable to use on Sharp 32'' Aquos?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Israel2489, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Israel2489 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I just bough a new MacBook and I am looking to hook it up to my 32'' LCD Sharp Aquos. I bought the Mac adapter (Mini DVI-DVI) with a DVI-D cable and hooked it up and all that showed up on my TV screen was the background/wallpaper of laptop. No dock showed up, nothing. The mouse did work though. I just noticed my TV is DVI-I, so would that be the problem? If so, where do I buy such a cable that would work with my adapter? Any help is much appreciated. By the way, I am a new Mac user, been PC my whole life, so this is all new to me. Again, thanks.

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

It sounds like the display is set for spanning instead of mirroring. Go to display preferences or the display menu bar icon and select "mirror displays" and the dock should appear. Your cable is fine.

3. Israel2489 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Souljas macrumors regular

As this thread appears to be over... I am getting 2x 10m DVI-D cables soon, but I was wondering if anyone knows if there is actually any difference between expensive 'gold plated' cables and ordinary cheaper ones?

5. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

No. DVI is digital, same as HDMI - the cable will either work, or it won't. Don't fall for the expensive cable trick.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The price.

Other than that it is a digital signal there really should not be any difference in quality, either the signal does or does not make it through. Unlike analog cables were interference and resistance causes a degradation of signal, a digital signal should make an exact duplicate of itself.

If you want to save money on the cable go through newegg.com. I have never gone wrong with Link Depot branded cables, very well made. As a matter of fact for all of your cables go through newegg it is MUCH cheaper than any retail store. A tip in newegg for HDMI cable go to "computer hardware" -> "computer accessories" instead through electronics for a wider and cheaper selection.

Edit: Darn you StealthRider you beat me to it

7. Souljas macrumors regular

Thanks guys..you saved me some money. Newegg prices look v.cheap, but im in the UK :( so will prob have to settle for more expensive prices!