Which e-mail client do you use with your Mac, and why?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blue22, Jun 21, 2011.

1. blue22 macrumors 6502a

blue22

I've used Eudora to manage my emails for over 10 years, loved the software, but now with OSX Lion looming on the horizon (thus putting Eudora on ice since it relies on Rosetta to run) I'm looking to migrate over to another Mac-based email client and I wanted to ask which one do people prefer using the most with their systems, and why it serves them well?

The requirements I'm personally looking to fulfill are:

1) The ability to manage my two primary email accounts off my hosted web-servers onto my local computer; thus I'm not interested in using a web-based solution like Gmail.

2) To be able to read all my email accounts through this primary account, including my Gmail, Yahoo! and MSN accounts (and if possible to aslo be able to respond to messages to each of those accounts as if I'm in the specific email account via personality settings).

3) A reliable search function to sift through messages, the speedier the better.

4) import 10 years worth of emails (about 12,000 messages) from Eudora, with as little pain as possible.

5) Ideally have a half decent & user friendly UI system.

So far in my initial research I've track down these apps as having the most potential to do what I'm looking for listed above:

- Apple Mail
    - Entourage
    - Outlook
    - Postbox
    - Sparrow
    - Thunderbird

If anyone could share their thoughts, suggestions and/or insights regarding which of these email clients is more worthwhile to use over the other (including any that I overlooked) that would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I'm a big big huge fan of Mail in OS X Lion. Although I'm not sure about the importing of 10 years' emails.

3. Ryanm93 macrumors member

Mail

Just the standard Mail app. Its easy to set up all your accounts and the new Lion update makes it look even more easy to navigate :D

You will find that if you use Apples software you will be rewarded with their beautiful design. I stick to their standard software with the acception of Google Chrome.. Obviously :D

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use the default 10.6 mail.app. I also have postbox installed and I use that from time to time.

5. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Thunderbird; ease of use, add-ons, most simple set-up of all email clients (try setting up Yahoo IMAP on Mac Mail, such a pain) and it's pretty fast!

6. coops macrumors regular

I use the built in mail function in my web browser of choice - Opera. saves having to run another app... easy, reliable and pop3 or imap etc.

Does the job fine for me.

Coops

7. jackhdev macrumors 6502

The built in Mail application is great. I use it everyday, and it should be sufficient for everything you need.

8. blue22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

blue22

Apple Mail is the most popular thus far...

Thanks so much to everyone who responded to this thread so far!!! Quite a few of you are in favor of using Apple Mail, so I'll give that a try over the coming week, along with Thunderbird to see which one of those two feels more suitable to utilize. Eventually I'd like to also test drive OSX Lion's mail app, but I guess I have to wait another month for that.

9. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I've been enjoying Sparrow especially since their last update got MobileMe push working. Of the clients I have used, Mail.app and Sparrow are the most "mac like".

10. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Just use Apples Mail App and Mobile Me/iCloud ... I've been a .mac/.me guy for 5 yrs and Keeping things Apple just makes life easier...

P.S. those 10yr e-mails.. I suggest storing those on an external and start fresh, no need to have any complaints if for some reason you run into errors doing the transition .... also call Apple to verify the process of doing such a transition

11. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

I'm using outlook and switching to
    Mail app as soon as lion comes out.

12. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

I tried Sparrow for few months, Gmail integration on Sparrow is really good but I could not get Yahoo! mail to work properly. I couldn’t get it to sync my folders so I switched back to Mail app, not as nice as sparrow but it works.

13. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I'd check back with them as they put out updates. I've consistently seen things work better with each update put out.

Not sure how well Yahoo plays with IMAP though. Haven't used them in quite a number of years.

14. callison, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

callison macrumors newbie

So does this mean that Lion has the ability to "archive" from the Gmail server instead of delete, within the mail app? This is one of the biggest things for me in regards to lion. I know it sounds small, but I like to have a paper trail of almost all of my correspondence.

15. blue22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

blue22

Thanks for the suggestions; perhaps it is better to start "fresh" and skip the import of old messages. :cool:

16. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Outlook 2011

This my personal choice.

I use it in the Windows world at work and its what I've supported for almost 10yrs vs 3yrs with Lotus Domino/Notes, with 4mths of Novel GroupWise on Windows. Of the 3 I prefer Outlook 2011 - I cannot speak about Entourage but I heard its horrible.

Outlook 2011 has conversations support - MUCH better layout and in daily use than Outlook 2010 on Windows (currently I use both for work: 2011 on Mac, 2010 on Win7); and the index search on Win7 with Outlook 2010, although really good CANNOT hold a candle to Spotlight+OSX+Outlook 2011. Conversations can be individually moved to folders, deleted from the thread or just completely isolated.

There is so much more - yet I cannot advise how this can be used with me.com email account and ability to archive previous emails: Outlook on Windows can use a PST file or archive file - but I don't think Outlook 2011 can create archive/pst files - just import/use/augment them.

17. actionmarker macrumors newbie

You will probably want to use Apple Mail

Apple Mail will probably be your choice.

2 main reasons;
    • Can be set up for multiple accounts to be accessed from the one interface.
    • Can import you past emails from Eudora using the import wizard. Both applications use similar mbox formats so you should not come up with any problems there.

I have been using it for a few years with no issues, no lost mail, no send/receive issues, etc and interfaces into iCal and Address Book with no issues

Hope this helps

18. blue22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

blue22

Mail in OSX Lion: what's changed?

Yes, it actually does help to narrow the choices down a lot thanks!

I forgot to ask you two earlier: what's the major differences/improvements of Apple Mail in OSX Lion? I'm still using Snow Leopard so how does it compare?

19. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I just use the Apple Mail app that comes with Snow Leopard. I'm sure the one in Lion will be just as easy to use. Like others said, it just makes things easier sticking with the built in Apple programs.

20. SteelWheel macrumors member

At present I use none of the programs you mentioned (the vast majority of my email goes to a "fake" email address in the form of myfirstname@mylastname.net. From there it gets automagically forwarded to my gmail account, as well a few other rarely used accounts. I use Mailplane to view my Gmail account (a truly great app if you're primarily a
    gmail user, btw).

Having said all that, based on my most recent experiences with the programs you mentioned, I'd have to say that Thunderbird was probably the best of the bunch.

12000 emails? Once you import all of those, how much room would you have left for apps and data? That's part of the reason why I switched to Gmail. I thought I was the last holdout against web-based email. Guess there are a few people around who are even more Luddite than I. :)

21. blue22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

blue22

personal preference & peace of mind...

A Luddite?! LOL, but hardly that. It's more about the ease of recalling archived messages than anything else; just a personal preference. I also tend to value not having all my digital correspondence centrally located online to help offset any privacy concerns using those systems as well.

Honestly, just FYI, it doesn't take up nearly as much space as you would think, only about 0.5 GB for all 12,000+ messages. And if I include the attachments folder then the total tops out to about 750 MB, which leaves plenty of space left over in modern HDD & SSD's for everything else, including installing apps and other data files locally. :)

22. tlernst macrumors newbie

Email programs

Try Eudora OSE instead of Eudora 6.2

23. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Eudora OSE is just Thunderbird with widgets and icons inspired by Eudora.