Which Email App

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oo7ml, Oct 26, 2011.

1. oo7ml macrumors 6502

I have recently changed over from Windows to Mac

What email app do you use to send and retriece emails

I have 3 email accounts that i need to manage and i currently have them set up in the Mail app, however i think the app is missing some necessary functions... looking forward to your recomendations, thanks in advance

2. hafr macrumors 68030

Which functions are you missing?

3. oo7ml thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi, thanks for your reply...

For instance when you click on an email in your inbox, the contents of the email load in the reading pane on the right and the email is marked as read... however in outlook, you can choose not to mark an email as read until you actually double click into the email and open it

I know you can right click on an email in the Mail app and mark it as unread again but i find it too easy to click on an email by accident and then all of a sudden it is marked as read.

4. hafr macrumors 68030

Okay... Have you tried Mozilla Thunderbird?

5. oo7ml thread starter macrumors 6502

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Anything is better than Outlook :)

Thunderbird
    Sparrow
    PostBox

7. cdustybk macrumors member

I personally use Mac's Mail, and it DOES give you the option to only mark the item as read after you double-click it.

Are you using OS X Lion? If so, then press Command and comma at the same time (or go to 'Mail' on the menu then 'Preferences') and go to the 'Viewing' tab. Select "Use classic layout". [If you are using any other version of Mail, you can skip all the above.] Then, just drag the bar of the "Viewing Pane", or the section that shows your Email, all the way down so it is out of sight. This will cause messages to not be marked as read until you double click the message. And it looks MUCH nicer than Outlook (or any other email app I've tried...)

8. oo7ml thread starter macrumors 6502

WOW... cool, can't wait to get home from work and try this...

Is there anyway to get notifications or system tray pop downs in Mail, thanks again for your help ;)

9. cdustybk macrumors member

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Do you want to remove the bouncing icon and the red "badge" when you get new mail?

10. oo7ml thread starter macrumors 6502

No, that is exactly what i want but i haven't seen this happening yet... maybe i have disabled something...

11. cdustybk macrumors member

Hmmm... I believe it's usually enabled by default, but you can go to Mail >> Preferences >> General (tab) and change "Dock unread count:" to anything other than "None".

As for the dock bouncing, I believe it used to be under the same "General" tab, but I recently upgraded to Lion, and I don't know where it's at. I'm sure you can use the Terminal to change it, but I don't know the commands off the top of my head. Besides, I don't recommend venturing to the Terminal if you are new to Mac (unless you're the adventurous type). It's basically like Window's command line (only better ;) )

12. oo7ml thread starter macrumors 6502

13. dbrine macrumors newbie

I just swapped over myself, thankfully. I tried Thunderbird and it worked pretty well but then I went to Mac Mail. I highly recommend Mac mail that comes on your mac. I have 5 accounts on mine plus imported accounts/ archive files (13gb worth). zero issues.