Which english do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lofight, Jan 30, 2008.

?

What is in your opinion the best english?

1. I prefer American English

39.9%
  2. I prefer British English

60.1%
  1. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Which english do you prefer? The American English or (British) English? In Belgium we learn (British) English because it's in my teacher's view more polite, and less lousy.. He also says that Americans are very lazy with their language, saying things that grammatically aren't right. Is this right?

There are big differences actually i learned.
    Colors is Colours in (British) English, same with some other words
    defense is defence in (British) English, same with other words
    letter is lettre in (Britis)h English, same with other words but this is changing says my teacher english..

I have always learned American English, i live in Belgium but i stayed 4 years in the American Internatiol School of Bucharest (AISB). Sorry is there are mistakes in my post.. :p

So which one do you prefer?

2. 119576 Guest

This is incorrect.

I personally prefer British English, but that's probably because I've been taught to use it for my entire life and have become accustomed to it...

3. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I too prefer British English... but I am also British/English :D

Also, English people invented the language, so this must be the more correct version surely?

Can't we just call American English 'American'? lol

4. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

I don't know where to begin... I don't know any Americans who are "laisy". Nor do I know anyone, anywhere who says things that aren't "grammaticly" right.
    :D

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Where's the option for Indian English, or Canadian English, or any of the other fine English variants the world provides?

6. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

And how well do you write Belgian?

I find it funny that on the Mac you can choose between English and British English. I would have thought that, no matter where you live, it should be English and American English?? :rolleyes:

7. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

i just saw this on a dictionary that you're right, but previously, in the beginning it was lettre because inspired by french.

Sorry, I learned to say it this way :p

Don't those words exist? What my teacher says..
    Sorry, but i'm just talking about these two..

sorry, but as i said, i'm not that well in English, the 4 years I learned English were when i was between 4 and 8..

pretty funny the mac thing :p

8. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Indeed
    :rolleyes:
    lol

Or maybe English & Incorrect English?

hehehe

9. joefinan macrumors 6502a

I think that's incredibly rude and quite unnecessary.

10. Chillijam macrumors member

Chillijam

<pedantry>
    Nobody speaks pure English. Every "English speaker" speaks in a dialect based upon the English language.
    </pedantry>

Anyhow, to say one dialect is better than another is nonsensical. Is Greek better than Latin*? Depends who you ask. From my point of view as an inhabitant of England and user of one of the forms of British English, I would say that American English is more user-friendly in that you can get away with more. The idea of using nouns as verbs seems to have come from that side of the pond (e.g. "Let's productize that idea", etc.). Also, the spellings of some words, as you pointed out, is arguably more sensible, removing some of the silent letters. However, since it is "English" and therefore derived from the language of England, I'd say US English is arguably less pure. I'd be wrong to say that, though. English is a bastardised mix of French, German, Latin, several of the Scandinavian languages, and a whole heap of others thrown in for good measure.

I seem to have gone off into a bit of a stream of consciousness there, but my underlying point is that there shouldn't be a concept of "better or worse" when talking about languages or dialects. It makes no sense.

*I've deliberately left the dialectical argument aside. It was intentional. My point is made

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Ah god no! I had a huge argument with an American guy who swore that American English was a different language and was not a dialect (which it obviously is).

As for which is best, I dunno but I hear American women love English accents. I think I'll head over their and try unleash some of that home county English charm :).

I'd just be happy is if American English was classed as international English rather than British English which should just be refered to as English.

12. calculus Guest

calculus

Oh, the irony!

13. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

English. Propper England English.

Being the ones who invented the language and all.

14. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

Sorry i should have said prefer.. i'll change this..

15. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

This is actually the case (in my experience)... its weird lol

But I do believe it works to our advantage :rolleyes:

16. kabunaru Guest

Even though I am from United States, I like British English and the English accents more.

17. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I have no idea of the factual accuracy of this.

It is lazy and grammatically :).

I agree. For a non native speaker he does well. Next time you can write a post in flemmish and not make a mistake maybe then you can comment.

18. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

^ I agree with the 2 above posters, so I'll just agree with those. I also agree with the dialects. After all American English is a form of British English which has been changed/lost during the years after Settlers came to England. There is an article about it on wikipedia.

19. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Considering that I live in America, I prefer American English. I have no real problem with British English, though, and yes, yes, I recognize that it's their language, you know, besides all the various pieces that can be attributed to dozens of groups and languages the world round.

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

either one is 'correct' in that neither are lousy or more polite.

the problem with all language is that its changes over time, and the changes happen in different areas causing several different types of growth concurrently in different parts of the country/world.

grammar only serves to try and standardize something that is always in constant flux, and only works well in some situations, and is, by itself and nature always changing as well.

neither language can be superior for communication, then, and no language is better than another, just preferred or learned.

21. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

My teacher said lettre also exists, the same with some other words than end with -ER

thanks..

okay.. i understand. I can believe there isn't a better one. In the normal everyday language in Belgium we make mistakes and in the Netherlands they make others..

22. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Actually, according to linguists, American English isn't even a different dialect. It's not different enough to be considered one.

23. richkent72 macrumors regular

Lettre does appear in the Oxford English Dictionary, but only because it is used in certain French phrases used in the UK (in the same way that some Latin phrases are used in the UK). It is however not an English word and to teach this as an alternative spelling of 'letter' in English is totally incorrect.

24. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

Really, if this is true, my teacher really isn't a good teacher. He says that all English speaking people use lettre, but that it's changing to letter..

25. Queso macrumors G4

What's this British English thing? I speak English, from England. It's not quite the same as English as spoken in Scotland or even English as spoken in Wales. Therefore there is no British English.

I don't mind the American one though. It's completely understandable, although they do tend to speak frustratingly slowly :p