Which ethernet modem for Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by weevil, Jan 3, 2008.

1. weevil macrumors newbie

I have recently purchased Airport Extreme and have previously had an ADSL USB modem (TalkTalk Speedtouch 330).

I need to buy an ethernet modem to use with the Airport Extreme. Looked on the Apple Store and they have the Netgear DM111P but it has terrible reviews on there (compatability issues).

Any recommendations would be greatly received.

Please note this is UK based.

iMac 24" 2.4ghz OSX 10.5

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Get yourself an X-Modem. They may be cheaper elsewhere, but I do know that they are available at The Apple Store on Regent Street. I have two and have never had a problem with either. For two different UK broadband providers, I just plugged them in and entered my username and password for my ISP and they connected without a hitch. Then make sure it is set to "Modem" as opposed to "Gateway" and attached it to your AirPort Extreme and you are ready to go. Fantastic. It just worked.

3. Grasbak macrumors 6502

I have a wireless - router - modem

If i got an airport extreme can i connect that up to the current router?

You might ask why..... I would consider it if they get time machine working over the wireless.

4. weevil thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice netdog but it looks like it is discontinued (unless you can point me in the right direction). The manufacturer website is down plus it draws a big blank anywhere else it is mentioned (I might not be looking hard enough though!)

Can't really get to the Apple Store on Regent Street as I am based in Midlands.

Any other recommendations would be most welcome.