All iPads Which Etymotic earphone do you recommend?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by hajime, Dec 24, 2013.

1. hajime, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013

hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I have been using the Shure SE115 for a few years. It is quite good in sound isolation but sometimes I can still hear people when they are talking loudly. I heard that Etymotic earphone has excellent sound isolation. Which one do you recommend HF3, HF5 or ER-4PT? I have tried the Bose QC20i in several stores. It is not good at blocking human voice.

2. New2MacOS macrumors member

I have the Bose Q20i (and also the Q15), and both are great in canceling the roar of the plane engine (I travel a lot) but not conversations. I prefer to use my Bowers & Wilkins C5 for noise isolation and superb clarity of the sound--try listening to Doug MacLeod's "There's a Time" album. See the ranking and review of the B&W C5 in Forbes Magazine. I hope this helps.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

They all use the same basic plug design, so isolation is effectively the same. The 4PT is considerably more expensive because the armatures are closely matched and it's overall a higher-end IEM. I am not exactly clear on what the difference between the HF3 and HF5 is other than obviously the microphone on the HF3. I would expect they are otherwise fairly similar.

Ety's have great isolation if you can take the insertion they require to get a good seal. I've been using them for 10 years, and on even loud airplanes I can barely hear anything at all above the sound of the music, which remains at the same volume as if I were in a quiet room. They do get uncomfortable after some time though.

Custom molds are a good option if you want good isolation and all-day comfort.

4. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

The HF3 and HF5 are the exact same other than the former's addition of a built-in mic and player control buttons.

I have the HF5 and noise isolation is pretty good (mind you, I have nothing else to compare it to). However, I can still hear others' voices if they talk loudly enough. You have to get a good seal with the provided eartips, which might be uncomfortable initially.

If you understand these caveats, then I recommend the HF-series. It's your decision if you want the extra functionality of the HF3.

5. hajime, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013

hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. From the company website, the sound isolation is the same.

Not sure if it is true but somebody mentioned that the build quality for the ER-4PT is better than those HFs.

As far as I know, HF3 and HF5 are the same except that the former has a mic with a controller. Does the mic and volumn control work on Android phone?

When you move, does it produce annoying sound when the wire or controller hits your cloths?

Some mentioned that even without music, they can't hear the conversation but SJism23 mentioned that he/she could hear the conversation. What about the rest of you?

6. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

How about these:
    MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6P Noise Isolating In-Ear Headphone with Microphone, Remote and Universal Volume Control, Black
    http://amzn.com/B00DDPZ4FA

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I think you will find that any in ear monitor will have some micro phonics so won't be great for activity. You will hear some noise from movement of the wires.

If you get a good seal, you will not hear much. For example I can barely hear cabin announcements, babies crying, etc on the plane.

8. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

9. hajime, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Has anybody used the HF-3, HF-5 or ER-4PT on the MBP? Do they work?

10. fredylee macrumors member

I have Shure 535, and it is awesome. Personally, don't really feel any difference between this and my older 435.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Haven't used the ER-4PT but I have used the ER-4P's with my MBP and they work. What are you specifically asking?

+1. I only notice those sounds if there's nothing playing or a quiet point in the music/audio. I can hear the cabin announcements but I can't make out what they're saying with the ER-4P's inserted.

12. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Another vote for the ER-4P. I've been using mine for a dozen years (had the cables replaced this past summer), and see (or hear!) no reason to try anything else. The isolation is superb, and the sound quality equally so.

13. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I inquired with etymotic about getting my ER-4p's re-plugged with a smaller jack to fit more modern devices, but they said they don't do it. Where did you get yours done?

14. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

The Etymotic service center replaced the entire cable on mine. It had the same style plug, though. Here's the repair page:

https://www.etymotic.com/cs/er4service.html

15. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

For playing music from devices like the MBP and phone, does it matter much on whether I use the highest end ER-4PT or the HF2/5 model?