Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
I have this with 4gb :
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/specs/powermac_g4_1.0_dp_mdd.html

connected to:
http://www.everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple_cinema_display_20_2.html

want to transfer all the software and documents and files. Basically looking to save space by going portable.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
If you want to stay PowerPC, then go for the last generation of PowerBook G4 with the dual layer Superdrive and high resolution screen. That said, Intel Macs are VERY cheap now. I just won a 2.16GHz Core Duo MacBook Pro on eBay for $96 shipped. All it needs is a battery and PSU. Thats less than I paid for my 17" PowerBook.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
If you want to stay PowerPC, then go for the last generation of PowerBook G4 with the dual layer Superdrive and high resolution screen. That said, Intel Macs are VERY cheap now. I just won a 2.16GHz Core Duo MacBook Pro on eBay for $96 shipped. All it needs is a battery and PSU. Thats less than I paid for my 17" PowerBook.

Can i transfer all my software and documents that recent Mac no longer support such as CS3 ?

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Some are copy and paste then some (like Photoshop) have all these files in other places of the system so copying just the app might work but you'll be missing a lot of components.

I don't have an original cd/dvd for CS3. The software came already installed when I purchased the computer used from a graphic designer.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
What you'd probably want to do is use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to clone the drive onto the PowerBook. It is unlikely you can just copy the program to another computer and have it work.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
connected to:
http://www.everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple_cinema_display_20_2.html

want to transfer all the software and documents and files. Basically looking to save space by going portable.

That's a nice display. I have two of them, looking for a third..

I also have a MDD, 1,0 DP (which I will soon be retiring)...

Anyway, I always think of this as a question in three parts:
- space
- performance
- support

• The first one's easy, as it's easy for you to ascertain how much data you would have to fit onto the laptop, and keep in mind, that the average user's need for space grows by about 15% each year, so you might want to look for something which accepts SATA -drives...
• The second is already more tricky, because performance comes in many colors. In a "pure crunch" manner, no :apple: PowerPC-laptop beats the DP1,0Ghz in geekbench, but in "real world" apps some of the last 1,5-1,67 Ghz powerbooks might... IMHO, Photoshop will not run quicker on a last gen PBG4... Personally, if I were out to update a PMG4, and PMG5 was not an option, I'd jump to intel... The pre-unibody MacBookPro's are very cheap, and the power and versatility they offer make you not look back for the MDD (unless you start missing the noise)...
• If it works, don't fix it, is a good mantra, and it has a corollary: If you fix it, it may not work, so you have to fix it again... Upgrading becomes tempting once the reasonable expected pain of upgrading to intel is slighter than the expected performance boost...

P.S. Depending on your jurisdiction, the situation may vary, but assuming you would have a valid license, "pirating" an installation medium may be allowable...

RGDS,

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
PowerBook G4 15" overclocked, or a MSI GT70 or an OriginPC. Never get any apple product made after 2005. With the non macs and newer iCrap macs installation will be much harder.
Remember ye can't install or clone a version of OS X that is earlier than it shipped with.

Ye can't hackintosh it if the equivalent Mac can't run that OS X version.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Thank you..... i don't know too much technical stuff but all i wanna do is to buy something portable and "switch" the computer from my current. Then, clean up the g4 mdd and sell it. I don't know what i would do with the display it got some dark line goes across the screen tiny bit which you sort of notice.

i think my current machine got 80 gb. I know it has 4 gb ram. works prefect and super clean cosmetically inside out.

I may just forget about saving the CS3 and buy brand new notebook. Then just transfer all the files ( music, photos, documents). I'll miss the CS tho....

Swampus

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
Winterfell
...I may just forget about saving the CS3 and buy brand new notebook. Then just transfer all the files ( music, photos, documents). I'll miss the CS tho....

CS3 is Universal Binary, no? I'm almost certain I've seen it running on Lion (I don't think it needs Rosetta). Check on the Adobe forums for compatibility issues since there have been no updates for it and no official support since Leopard.

If you have other PowerPC apps that you don't want to leave behind, you could opt for an early 2011 MBP (late 2011 models can also work with a little more effort) that can run Snow Leopard & Rosetta. In your case, this might be the best of both worlds. You could have a SL partition for your PowerPC apps and another partition for the latest OS release. Refurbished 2011 models are still occasionally available directly from Apple and come with a one year warranty with the option to extend just like a brand new Mac.

A refurbished early 2011 MBP ordered from Apple today would likely ship with Mountain Lion, so you would need to find the machine specific restore disks from an early 2011 model to install Snow Leopard. Or you could install via a machine capable of an earlier retail version of Snow Leopard (easier to find) and then update it to the latest SL release on that Machine.

Edit: I missed where you said that you don't have the install media for CS3. That could make things a little more difficult and potentially problematic. Perhaps not even possible?

Last edited:

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
4GB on G4 MDD ?

Yes

----------

Edit: I missed where you said that you don't have the install media for CS3. That could make things a little more difficult and potentially problematic. Perhaps not even possible?

Ok so i can't simply transfer software between computers without the original install disk? Then i guess I'll have to forget about finding something cheaper and older Mac book to save it. I'd have to go back to the idea of buying new or newer MacBook and do the best i can to save other files.

Swampus

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
Winterfell
...Ok so i can't simply transfer software between computers without the original install disk?

Sometimes you can. Not sure about CS3 specifically. I'm also not sure about forum rules in relation to discussing it since you don't technically own it. It's also possible that the previous owner stripped the x86 code from the Universal Binary. Really, you should probably keep an eye on eBay for a good deal on a legitimate copy.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Sometimes you can. Not sure about CS3 specifically. I'm also not sure about forum rules in relation to discussing it since you don't technically own it. It's also possible that the previous owner stripped the x86 code from the Universal Binary. Really, you should probably keep an eye on eBay for a good deal on a legitimate copy.

I didn't know this... I mean about transferring software..... Look for the original install DVD is a good idea, probably I can find it cheap now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.