Which EXT HD to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ARCthis, Jul 14, 2008.

1. ARCthis macrumors newbie

backstory: 2.5 yrs into my 4th Mac (1.33Ghz MINI), after 2 inexplicably self-correcting week long shut downs (plus still using my reliable but anachronistic G3), I’ve window-shopped these Ext HDs as both a future remedy to rescue the MINI’s HD & a G3/G4 link allowing me to startup/run the G3 with it?

Qs:
    1)Don’t HDs need cooling systems--only the mock mini 'Stack' models mention fans? Does an independent power source just prevent port overheating or protect the HD? or is temp control not an issue?
    2)Can all 2.5 SATA Ext HDs be switched/swapped out?
    3)Can I boot up from/work off the OS on an Ext HD?
    4)Are there functional differences between Ext 2.5 SATA 'Portables', 'Desktops' & HD-less 'Enclosures'? Or will all serve my purposes?

2. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I have two LaCi drives they work great via FW800.

3. magid macrumors 6502

magid

Ive used LaCie drives in the past without a problem and recently purchased a WD MyBook thats been good so far.

4. ninewhereman macrumors member

I have a Free Agent that works great. Only gripe is that it doesn't do firewire, but it was under 100 for 500 gigs.

5. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

I have been using a Seagate FreeAgent Pro, triple interface. Fast, cheap and reliable. Its nice to have a choice in interface too– if my firewire is tied up, switch to USB. Could get a esata card for my expresscard slot, but haven't bothered.

6. thomanjones macrumors regular

I've only bought Lacie external drives so far, and while pricey, have worked like a charm. I recommend the Rugged for home/portable dual use, and the Big Disk/Bigger Disk for Home. You can get rails to mount them on too if you plan on expanding.

Regardless, I'd get something with FW400/800 and SATA though to future-proof it.

7. ARCthis thread starter macrumors newbie

A's 2 Q's?

TY 4 (will copy) brand name advice--

Can I assume that:
    a)COOLING's no issue?
    b)STARTUP/RUN OFF any EXT HDs without fear of overheating?
    c)all SATA 2.5 models are 'SWAP-OUT'able?

8. DJJONES macrumors 6502

ive been using my lacie over over 2 years problem free hell yeah!