Which External drive? Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by InquisitiveAmI, Apr 16, 2014.

1. InquisitiveAmI macrumors member

Hi everyone,
    I just have a pretty urgent question becuase as I speak I am running more and more out of storage space on my 512gb rmbp 13. I really need an external hard drive and these are my needs:
    Heavy photoshop files, minor xcode projects and films music etc
    But mainly alot alot of audio samples ,projects plugins by the thousands.
    Its clear Im gonna need at least and 500gb drive to start but I think 2tb is best
    My main questions are for my needs:

1)SSD / HDD -
    2)Usb 3/Thunderbolt
    3)DIY enclosure(buy drive + enclosure separately) / ready made kit(ie: the full package drive enclosure etc)
    4) Recommendation for setup? Or if other peoples Ideas are good enough ?

Many thanks for help! This forums been excellent so far for getting me into macs !

2. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

If you're just pushing files around rather than working directly from the external, then there's no reason to get anything other than a big ol' USB3 HDD external. In 2GB or 3GB sizes these are often cheaper to buy than the drives they contain.

In single disk applications USB3 is every bit as fast at Thunderbolt, even with SSDs. I believe (others here will know) that Thunderbolt maintains much more consistent throughput than USB3 when used in RAID configurations, though.

3. InquisitiveAmI thread starter macrumors member

No I'll just be pushing files around but id like relatively quick speeds whilst transferring them to my logic pro main board- maybe watch films on it and xcode projects on it but I gather that standard hard drives are easily good for it - just my music production im concerned about
    If so could you recommend any 2tb external drives good enough for it? Would 7200 rpm suffice?

4. InquisitiveAmI thread starter macrumors member

Anyone with any ideas?
    Maybe I could use RAID 0 with HDD for better speeds?

5. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Just get a 2TB USB 3.0 drive. That will handle everything short of 4K video without much hassle.

6. Dubberton macrumors regular

If money is a thing, wait around a few days and you may see some good deals on a drive. They are rampant.

7. InquisitiveAmI thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean?What am I waiting around for and from where?

Also would it be possible to buy a dual bus powered usb 3 enclosure and put 2 1tb drives in RAID 0 ?
    And which enclosure/drives should I use?

8. InquisitiveAmI thread starter macrumors member

9. jfong425 macrumors member

check slick deals. I got a USB3.0 WD 2TB My Passport Slim Portable Hard Drive for $80. it was on sale plus coupon....

10. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

What speeds are you looking for?

I wouldn't recommend having any data not backed up or at least in a RAID system with a parity (RAID 5 is a good one). For data protection RAID 0 is even worse than no RAID at all.

11. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I'm running a 13" rMBP with a Western Digital Ultra 2TB.
    It's pretty good and not overly expensive. Doesn't require a power source, very small and portable. It's only 5400rpm but running my Aperture library off of it isn't hindered by any waiting times even with RAW and HDR files.

Might consider something more rugged but that's your call.

12. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Really, it does sound as though you'll be fine with USB3 HDDs, even at 5400rpm.

If you want a 2.5" portable enclosure – and you probably do – then your best bangs per buck will be 2TB/5400rpm. There are 2TB/7200rpm drives available, but the premium is greater than the benefit. You also need to be absolutely sure that it's bus-powered.

What are your back-up arrangements? If you've got nothing in place, go for a 2TB external and partition as:
    a) 500GB for your overflow storage
    b) 500GB for a weekly clone of your internal SSD (SuperDuper, CCC, whatever)
    c) 1TB for selective Time Machine back-up of your working files, which should hopefully be good for a couple of months' worth of versioning

Then buy another identical 2TB drive, do exactly the same thing, and rotate weekly, taking the off-duty drive offsite.

How are you archiving your work at present?

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You want it to be cheap or do you think it will be cheap?

Personally I recommend a Pegasus J4 with SSDs. Works great and is just as fast as an internal drive.

14. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

And so it should, at $400 for a driveless enclosure!

15. Dubberton macrumors regular

somebody mentioned slick deals, 9to5toys will usually have a couple a week at least (ssd deals and usb 3 externals), and maybe tigerdirect and newegg but I think slickdeals watches those. keep and eye on your local microcenter, frys, or whatever local big computer supply place is around you.

16. InquisitiveAmI thread starter macrumors member

Really good points made thanks guys

I'm sorta looking for relatively fast transferring files between storage device and mac. For instance loading up samples plug ins tracks on Logic Pro , ableton needs to be quick on the road . But raid maybe overkill...

To be honest after having the laptop for a week. I'm not really sure ...
    But what I want and I think your idea states it all though I have no idea on earth how you do it! Is to store files in my device is toexchange between Mac and device and to have full back ups of my internal hard drive and maybe clones of files outside (audio , plugins) .is that a good idea ?

And yes I don't want to spend over 250/200

Thanks for
    All help so far!!

17. InquisitiveAmI thread starter macrumors member

Also is there a noticeable difference for my needs in terms of 5400 rpm /7200 rpm

18. InquisitiveAmI thread starter macrumors member

19. Fishrrman macrumors G4

My recommendation is that you get ahold of an external (empty) enclosure, then buy a "bare drive" of your choice (either HDD or SSD), and assemble it yourself.

Some enclosures (like the Inatek) don't even use screws. You slip the drive into the connector, snap the cover on, and .... done.

The advantage of "building your own", vis-a-vis buying a pre-assembled drive, is that since you put it together yourself, you know what's inside, and if there's ever a problem (someday there is probably going to be), you know how to open it up again.

Although I prefer "docks" myself, since you may be toting this around with a MacBook, you'll do better to buy an enclosure.
    Here's a couple to consider:
    http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Inateck-Enclosure-Installation-Compatible/dp/B00FCLG65U
    and
    http://www.amazon.com/MiniPro-Exter...34&sr=8-3&keywords=oyen+digital+2.5+enclosure

For a drive to go inside, check amazon, newegg, and also keep an eye out over at dealmac.com

20. InquisitiveAmI thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for help.
    2 questions- would raid be overkill for
    My drives
    And what drives should I put in these enclosure for my needs ??
    Maybe WD 2TB 7200 rpm ? That good enough for me or do I need ssd really?

21. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

It depends entirely on whether you want speed or reliability. RAID0 is faster but means if one of the set of drives dies, you lose all your data. RAID1 means you get to keep your data, and time to get a new hdd to restore the data to.

If you think HDDs are sufficient, then I recommend this enclosure with a couple of Toshiba/HGST HDDs:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/METB7DK0GB/

If you want speed, then this enclosure with a couple of SSDs in RAID or Independent will serve you well:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c...1130705&p_id=10943&seq=1&format=2#description

Drop one or two Samsung 840 EVOs in this case, and you're set, but your total investment will increase to about $1200 for 2TB of storage..

22. InquisitiveAmI thread starter macrumors member

Thanks but that's the problem . I don't know what I need for my needs stated in first post. Just to clarify two drives or one it needs to be bus powered .
    Would one 2tb drive be enough for me?

23. InquisitiveAmI thread starter macrumors member

Also anyone no of any bus powered dual enclosures for usb 3 I could buy?

24. InquisitiveAmI thread starter macrumors member

I think what I need is someone to tell me what setup I need for my needs stated above

25. campyguy macrumors 68030

I moved to USB3/TB from eSATA early last year, and we just got our first two TB2-capable Macs a couple of months ago. I've made the decision to move to TB2-capable products in the future, but I needed something to bridge the gap from relying on eSATA and I was looking for the same answer you are now. I found a few small bus-powered TB SSD drives to tote around, and I bought a few of these:

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/desktop-hard-drives/drivestation/drivestation-ddr

Great and FAST for smallish files, 3-year warranty, under $200 for 3TB (I bought two at a local Fry's. The DRAM cache makes this unit a different beast for light-to-medium usage. They've been bulletproof since Day 1. It's been much faster in Read almost as fast in Write as our older G-TECH RAID (I'm using a cheap USB3-eSATA adapter). I'm saving up for a G-TECH G|RAID Studio, but we're very happy with the Drivestation.