Which external drive is best to use with the rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by letsudo, Dec 24, 2014.

1. letsudo macrumors member

I have been using WD My Cloud 4TB but it just stopped working all of a sudden. I bought it this year.

I am thinking of maybe buying another one and a normal one instead of the WiFi My Cloud but the My Cloud really was convenient in that you don't have to connect to the external HDD every time you want to watch a movie.

I've never tried having iTunes on it though with the iPhone backup. Has anyone tried that?

2. nerowolfe macrumors member

One been using (2+ years) is Seagate Backup Plus.

3. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

I would say pretty much any. I picked up a WD Essential 1TB for $59. I don't think any brand is better the other. Get something small and portable. All drives will fail at some point. I'm happy with the drive I have it backs up everything not something I put to much thought into. Amazon ratings was good so pretty much a no brainer.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I use an external SSD.

A Transcend 960GB SSD. It's pricey, but totally worth the speed and reliability.

5. xMacFeinx macrumors newbie

xMacFeinx

Just purchased a Seagate 1TB External Drive yesterday and so far it works as expected. Read/write speeds are reasonable and it seems coming from USB 2.0 (old drive) to 3.0 does make a slight difference. (Have been using a 500GB G Drive 2.0 USB).

I purchased a Seagate drive because I've heard great things about their external devices. Unlike I heard their internal drives suck. Not sure what to make of such.

Transcend = 1+.

Side Note: I'm using a Transcend SD Expanded Memory card on my 2014 rMBP. Read/Write speeds aren't quite what they advertised but I'm happy. Also have a few DSLR SD cards and like those also. As a brand they're something I would recommend.

How much did you pay for your 960GB SSD?

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

USD 550.

I get 410MB/s in writes and 430MB/s in reads.

Meanwhile, the only memory cards I have are CFast cards used for 4K recording. Three Lexar 3400x 256GB cards. Those were bloody pricey, but crucial in 4K recording.

7. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

I have a La Cie Porsche 500, a WD Transport 1TB, and a Kingston 500 HyperX SSD in an old Kingston external case. I bought the Transport about a year ago, and it wouldn't really work well in anything. However, when I started using it with my rMBP it has been an amazing drive. All of my past laptops have been USB 2, so performance with the WD was marginal at best. In a native USB 3 laptop, it has been great and very fast.

8. xMacFeinx macrumors newbie

xMacFeinx

Wow the price definitely wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Pretty much a steal of a deal. Nice grab

9. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

There's never been as many good choices of inexpensive high quality models. Watch the sales at Amazon.

10. BasicGreatGuy, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

WD MyCloud comes with a 2 year warranty. I would contact Western Digital asap and get a replacement.

I just bought 2 WD MyCloud 3TB a month ago, and they are working well. Took a little bit of work to get Time Machine going correctly. Now, it zooms along with 1GB ethernet. I use the second one to back up the first one. Got them for $160.00 each.

The other route (if not WD MyCloud replacement etc) is to get an external drive as others have said. Very good prices right now. I use my external drive with Clear Copy Cloner on my MBP. It too works great. Highly recommend it. It sees the WD MyCloud and can backup to it faster than Time Machine.

11. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

WD has been great about replacing their HDs in my experience. +1 for checking the warranty first.

12. xMacFeinx macrumors newbie

xMacFeinx

That too I have noticed. I buy most all my electronic products from Amazon. Great prices most of the time, fast shipping and great warranties. Pretty much hassle free buying.

It's odd. Years ago when I was a wee-little-lad (10-14 or so years old) WD hard drives were horrible. I would burn through about one a year. Now, I've heard they changed their act and are some of the best HD's available today. It's quite interesting. What are your thoughts about their old-school drives?

13. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

I can definitely remember a time when I avoided WD (before 2005, I'd say). I've had a few Passports and My Books and while some have failed, but I've been impressed in a noted improvement in quality and customer service.

14. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

WD has great drives now. Amongst the best even as inexpensive as they are.

15. xMacFeinx macrumors newbie

xMacFeinx

Great to know. I have stayed away from them in recent years due to the unreliability they use to have. Im glad to hear they've turned things around.

Now Im regularly hearing that Seagate drives have an abnormally high failure rate. Ive had nothing but good luck with the two Seagate externals Ive had, but some of their internal drives Ive read suck.

+1 for knowing WD's warranty is right in line with their Customer Service as well.

16. StE823 macrumors member

this is probably my favourite external drive so far, super compact and very fast.
    picked one up for 299 while it was on sale for 512gb
    http://www.angelbird.com/en/conf/ssd2go-pocket-662/

also have a lacie rugged TB drive with samsung 840 evo ssd i use between my macbook and iMac since my iMac has no usb 3.0 yet

17. letsudo thread starter macrumors member

What device did you use for 4k recording?

18. yjchua95 macrumors 604

EOS-1Dc.

19. letsudo thread starter macrumors member

How much does it cost? I saw it on Amazon and it said the body only is over $8000.

20. yjchua95 macrumors 604

That's about more or less of what I paid for it.

21. letsudo thread starter macrumors member

What makes this particular model better than others?

22. Agent-P, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I've been using a Western Digital 1TB drive for a couple of years now. I have it partitioned so 300GB is dedicated to Time Machine and the rest is a neutral format so I can use it with both my Mac and Windows computers. No issues for me so far *knocks on wood*

But I think I'm going to save up for a ~1TB external SSD and wait for them to drop in price a little. I want the piece of mind from flash storage and faster transfer speeds (I move files around a lot on the external).

23. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's really handy and portable compared to the EOS C500, and it can also cover my photographic needs as well as cinematography.

24. bobcan, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

25. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The Samsung T1 is phenomenal, my workplace has 25 of them (one for each person in the software dev team) and so far we're all really stoked about it.

Myself, I use a Samsung T1 500GB along with a Transcend 960GB JetDrive.

There's one thing worth noting though about USB-based external SSDs - random performance is really far off when compared to the same drive connected over SATA3 or PCIe, but it's fast enough for most needs.