Which External Drive is Better to Keep?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SteelBlueTJ, Jul 7, 2012.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I currently own 3 different external drives and I don't need all 3. None of them are used for time machine so that's not an issue. I would like to sell off one of them and keep 2. But each of them has features that the others don't, which makes it hard to narrow down the one to sell off. I was leaning towards number 1 since its older, but wanted some opinions first.

1. WD 160GB Desktop External Drive (AC Powered). Has 2 Firewire 400 and 2 USB 2.0 ports. - This is the oldest drive. I believe I bought it in 2005, but it hasn't seen much use. This thing is noisy and heavy. Has a totally different look than the newer "my book" drives. Being AC powered is nice, but firewire 400 is basically obsolete unless an 400-800 adapter is used.

2.Lacie 500GB portable drive. Has 2 Firewire 800 ports and 1 UBS 2.0/3.0 port. USB or firewire powered. Purchased in 2011.

3.WD My Passport 750GB Portable Drive. Only has 1 USB 2.0/3.0 port. USB powered. Purchased just a couple months ago, but never opened it. Still in original packaging.

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The older WD seems like it's the odd man out to me.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'd get rid of the WD if it were me. It's the smallest size and as you say, noisy and heavy.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I'd sell all 3 and buy a single contemporary drive that has both higher capacity and performance. I'd get one with a replaceable interface so you can migrate to USB2, USB3, FW800, and TB as your computing needs change.

/Jim

5. Skulltrail macrumors newbie

Skulltrail

Can you five an example of a device with a replaceable interface? Are you talking about an enclosure? The OP could do that: buy a high capacity, 7200RPM (or even SSD), 2.5" storage device and pop it into a USB 3.0 enclosure, Then when you want to go with TB, take the storage device out of that and install into a TB enclosure.

Good suggestion. :D

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/performance/goflex-pro-for-mac/

I've been buying Seagate GoFlex portable drives from Costco for $129 for a 1.5 TB drive. They come with a combo USB2.0/USB3.0 interface standard.

I also have a FW800 interface... and a Thunderbolt interface. Of course, the TB was the most expensive ($99).

The interface module just plugs into the drive. So... depending upon which computer I want to use... I choose the fastest interface module.

For my 2009 iMac, that is FW800
    For my MBA, it is Thunderbolt
    For everything else, it is USB

I have a total of 3 of the 1.5 TB external drives. Two are used for rotating off-site storage of my media. The third is just a scratch drive that I use around the house... or if I need a portable drive while traveling (ex: to hold my entire Aperture library).

Seagate also makes desk models as well. I have a 3TB desk model with USB, FW800 and TB interfaces as well.

/Jim

7. Lance-AR macrumors 6502