Which external hard drive do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rawrzor, Jul 29, 2012.

1. rawrzor macrumors newbie

Hi, I have recently bought an Macbook Air 13" for university. Since I am not very knowledgeable about hard drives, I am in need of your advice to help me decide on which hard drive I should buy. I have read other threads related to mine but they don't have the recent hard drives I have my eyes on as an option.

After some extensive research, I have come across three hard drives but I'm having a difficult time deciding on which one to buy. The three hard drives are:

- Lacie Rugged Mini 1 TB: I love the external case as it is made out of rubber and will prevent the hard drive from moving around too much. Not to mention I have read A LOT of people favoring this brand even though the hard drives are bought from other companies.

- Western Digital My Passport 1 TB: It's the easiest hard drive I can buy as I can just leave my house and buy one from Bestbuy. I have also heard complaints about the cord unplugging very easily.

- Seagate GoFlex Turbo Performance Drive 750 GB: Though it lacks the extra storage, it does provide two years of free SafetyNet Data Recovery Services

I really don't care about whether which ones are faster, I just want one which will last a few years with good warranty and customer service. Also, does anyone know which drives from the list above have the most amount of failure complaints? Thanks in advance!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

All platter-based hard drives are the same in terms of reliability. Buy an external enclosure and a bare drive so you can replace it when it fails.