Which external hard drive enclosure to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Helpme1234, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Helpme1234 macrumors newbie

Hey!

I recently received my new MacBook Pro Retina 13" from the Apple Store. In my old MacBook Pro I had an OWC SSD Mercury Extreme Pro 6G which I didn't knew what to do with until a friend told me that I could turn it into an external hard drive. I have been thinking about running Windows external from it. Does anybody have any good suggestions to which enclosure that would fit my needs the most? Thanks in advance! :)

2. chabig macrumors 68040

All enclosures are essentially the same. Buy the one that most appeals to your sense of style.

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Just make sure the enclosure is USB 3. I don't believe you can run windows in boot camp from an external drive.

4. paulCC macrumors member

I cannot comment on the "running Windows from it" question. But one word of caution - selecting an USB3.0 enclosure is not enough for good performance. You need to choose one that supports "USB Attached SCSI Protocol", or UASP. Look it up, the performance differences with and without UASP is large.

I am getting probably this enclosure, when I travel to the US in few weeks:

http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Ina...8&qid=1397027611&sr=8-1&keywords=inateck+uasp

Paul.

5. Doug5 macrumors newbie

Try boot from USB. Run windows system from external hard drive.