Which external hard drive for graphics transfer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nzw8qr, Apr 28, 2009.

1. nzw8qr macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum but need some quick help. I'm using Adobe lightroom and found it very slow when I'm editting my photos on my WD my book through a USB 2.0.

I have a Macbook Pro - with fire wire 400 - 800 and available ethernet port.

Should I get an external hd with the gigethernet, fire wire 800, or should I get one of the esata adapters and go with that one?

Thanks,

Oz

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You need a firewire drive.

Firwire 800 > firewire 400 > usb.

Desktop drive > laptop drive

3. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

While ESATA theoretically has a higher speed, you probably won't notice a difference between that and FW800. My personal recommendation i:Ds for Firewire 800.

4. bbq2k macrumors newbie

bbq2k

Fw 800

I faced a similar choice when I swapped my G5 tower for a 2009 MacBook. The G5 tower had an eSATA card, and I had a great time using it with eSATA externals. I found that bus to be considerably faster than FW800, which puts it galaxies beyond USB-2. Side note: USB-3 where are you?!

I did some research, and found a lot of bad reviews for the eSATA cards for MacBooks. Kernel panics, spotty support, the lot. I ultimately decided that I was willing to sacrifice some speed for greater stability.

Good luck!