Which external hard drive is best?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by robstene, Nov 25, 2008.

1. robstene macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm wanting to get he right external hard drive that will allow me not to worry when I am editing projects in Final Cut Express..

Can anyone recommend a good external hard drive...and any tips that I'll need to remember when installing it???

Many thanks..

Rob

2. Marol macrumors newbie

I have three Wester Digital harddrives that works great. Buy a studio edition which has FireWire 400/800, USB2 and e-sata connections, and formatted to Mac OSX Journal right from the start.

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I have a Lacie 500GB external that has FireWire 400/800, USB 2.0, and eSATA. I got it for about $130, and it was a great deal! I don't know how big you want it to be, but if you think 500GB will be enough, I would recommend this one (it also comes in 1TB and possibly 2TB but I don't remember).

4. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

I have (~2 years) a Seagate, 500 GB, with both USB and Firewire connections. Never had a problem.

Just as a hint: your colored font is almost impossible to see, at least for some of us old codgers. :D ;)

5. Bodine macrumors member

Here's another vote for WD. I have the my book studio edition and it worked great right out of the box.

6. Ivan José macrumors newbie

Ivan José

And another vote for Western Digital (I have 2 X 320 GB Passport). Working very well and fast.

Ivan

7. G-Com macrumors regular

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've got a MyBook drive, that works really well - it replaced a LaCie that died after only 1 year or so of use.

9. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

what do you guys like better. portable or stationary?

10. 1visitor macrumors member

WD, Seagate, LaCie, had them all, at least one of each broke.
    So my lesson is: don't trust HDs.
    Instead of having a big one, have more than one, so that one can back up the other. Taht, until you can afford a fast and bg enough SSD drive.

As to the connectivity, eSATA is technically the fastest thing but: does it run as nicely as firewire 400/800 when doing pro audio or video, or it's just a fast burst of data a la USB 2.0 ? Would like to know that.

11. keekl macrumors regular

keekl

12. thomasleon macrumors newbie

13. slieu92 macrumors regular

i'm no on western digital. at least the my book home edition. had to force mount it due to "invalid content". now i'm in the process of evacuating 300 GBs of data from it so i can reformat. pain in the ass

14. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

WD.
    I have a Western Digital Passport External Hard Drive 160GB.
    It is amazing.
    I have never had any problems with it.
    Last year my mom got found it on Black Friday on sale for only $70.

Unfortunately I ran out of space so I'm most likely going to get a Western Digital Desktop External Hard Drive 640GB.

Whatever you do, don't get a Seagate.
    There have been many problems with then lately.

15. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Anyone heard anything about the Fantom green drives? I see they're beginning to appear on retailers sites more frequently now.

16. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I wouldn't recommend buying a drive that is new to the world and is just now starting to get popular.
    If you're still interested in it, wait a few months and see the reviews.
    If it just recently got out to retailers then give the drive some time to fail on it's buyers.

17. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Yeah I was definitely going to wait a bit. Says its a "fanless system that uses around 40% less power than current models without sacrificing performance"...
    The prices are very competitive though, and I'm all for quieter externals, AND a cheaper electric bill (even if it is pennies).