Which external hard drive to buy? 3TB :D

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bender o, May 26, 2011.

1. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

Hi guys,

I come here once again with a question for you :) Here's my situation I have a Macbook Pro with a 500Gb HDD that's almost full so I wanted to buy an external HDD to take out all my movies and send them back in my mac when I need them (there's no netflix here so that's not an option :( ).

I've searched a lot and since I've purchased succesfully from macsales before I went directly there and found this two options Mercury Elite Al Pro $309.99 and Mercury Elite Pro Classic $319.99. First of all I don't really notice the difference between those 2 and why are they $10 different.

I was almost ready to purchase one of those as soon as I got a hold of a sales representative when I stumbled upon another thread here that said that buy.com had some very good prices on HDD so I went to search there and found this one that also has FW800 Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk STAC3000100 for just $158.99.

I don't see myself using eSata in the near future so that's not a plus to make me pay an extra $130+ on Macsales but is there any other differences? I've read reviews of some people telling they've had issues with Seagate's on their Macs while others haven't, do you have any of this 3?

Also what I want to do is to connect it to my Macbook Pro through FW800 and to my Dell Inspiron 6400 through what I think is FW400 (it has a tiny 1394 port) will those work on both ports? My dell is on Win7 but with only 1Gb RAM I think, should I upgrade to Win7 64bits for this HDD to work?

If you have any other HDD that's better/cheaper that would work I would really appreciate it if you could tell me which one is it :)

Thanks in advance :D

Ps: if you could correct my grammar it would be great for me to be able to improve my english :D

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Buy the drive with the best warranty for your budget and desired capacity. It is pointless to argue about brands when it comes to platter-based hard drives.

3. JohnRocks macrumors member

You can buy cavalry storage caue elite series 1 tb32 mbcache usb external hard drive caum3701T3-b Online. It is remarkably durable, with state-of-the art shock absorption. The stylish enclosure features an illuminated face and is constructed of solid aluminum, keeping the hard drive operating at a safe and cool temperature while protecting the data within. Its stackable design ensures a clean and uncluttered workplace.