Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I would buy a GOOD enclosure and put a Seagate Desktop "SSHD" in it.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
At this point I think just pick the size and connection type drive you want then just close your eyes and grab a drive off the shelf on sale.

I completely agree with this.

I would look more closely at the file system you wish to use.
Ive never had much joy with exFAT - yes its great due to cross compatibility between operating systems etc, but its also more susceptible to corruption. Ive never had data go corrupt on any external drive before - whether its FAT, FAT32, NTFS, HFS, etc - but its happened on every exFAT drive I have used - needless to say I no longer use exFAT, just don't trust it any more.....

galaksy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
I completely agree with this.

I would look more closely at the file system you wish to use.
Ive never had much joy with exFAT - yes its great due to cross compatibility between operating systems etc, but its also more susceptible to corruption. Ive never had data go corrupt on any external drive before - whether its FAT, FAT32, NTFS, HFS, etc - but its happened on every exFAT drive I have used - needless to say I no longer use exFAT, just don't trust it any more.....

I guess that means all the more reason to buy Mac only if you already have Macs since if you try to have both Mac and Windows and use exFAT to make up for the difference, the file will corrupt?

If you have movies on Mac only format can you watch them on Windows too or not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.