Which external hard drive to purchase?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BostonApple, Apr 16, 2009.

1. BostonApple macrumors newbie

I am looking for an external storage solution to back up my MBP and my wife's Dell laptop. I am looking for something that is 1TB and reliable. I am trying to keep the price around $125. I need something that will work with both Windows and OS X. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Just found this on Macnn today - a Maxtor 1TB external for $99.99. Here's the link. It'll have a Seagate drive inside, so that's a mixed blessing, but its got a 5 years warranty.

3. BostonApple thread starter macrumors newbie

4. flottenheimer macrumors 65816

flottenheimer

I love LaCie drives. I've used them for several years and I've never experienced a single problem with them.

Why not go for "LaCie Hard Disk, Design by Neil Poulton" - the 1TB version is exactly $129.99 (MSRP) - you can find it cheaper if you Google a little.

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/range.htm?id=10033

5. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Only a few companies - Hitachi, Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba, and Samsung manufacture hard drives. IBM, Maxtor, and Fujitsu previously manufactured hard drives, but sold their divisions to Hitachi, Seagate, and Toshiba. Virtually everyone else who sells hard drives buys them from one or more of those 5 companies.

6. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Dell.com has a Western digital 1TB for $110-120 depending on which model you get.

I just got one. Only using it for a few days, but I have another WD 500 GB that I've been using for a few years now that has never given me problems.

(As a side note, the new drive is replacing a La Cie FA Porsche drive. I don't know if my Macbook's firewire is kicked or what, but the drive just stopped working one day. I screwed around with drivers for a few hours but couldn't make it work. Haven't had time yet to figure out if it's the drive or the laptop, but online I did find a bunch of horror stories about those drives.)