Which external hard-drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applemax, Jun 9, 2007.

1. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

I'm looking to buy an external hard drive that looks nice and is over 250GB and is ideally under £400 ($800). Also, should be Mac friendly and probably FireWire 800 compatible. Any advice? Thanks.

2. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Western Digital Mybook Pro is 250gb and has Firewire 800. It costs £79.99 so its well in your price range! Or you can try the 500gb version for £114. Western Digital are great hard drive manufacturers and their products are very stylish, I am planning on getting 350gb Mybook USB version.

3. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

My Book is a good choice. We have a dozen at my work--they're rock solid and look pretty.

4. coil macrumors newbie

I have a number of LaCie drives that I am happy with as well as externals from other world computing, which usually has good deals.

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

There are so many good choices available. There is a great deal of promotional pricing as well. I like the LaCie drives, but I could not tell you that there are not other triple-interface options just as good. There have been (on average - and by my guess), at least one thread on this subject, every week, for a couple years. You might want to tap into this abundance of knowledge by searching. You can also visit CDW, Mac/PC Warehouse, Tiger Direct, PC Connection, Frys, etc. They will have many choices for you to evaluate and with current pricing.

6. showtime macrumors 6502

You can easily get a 500gb western digital mybook for ~$150.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yeah but look for the Pro version, the others are FW400.

8. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

They frequently go on sale. Check sale aggregator sites like dealnews.