which external HD to extend space for Photo editing?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lukester, Oct 26, 2018.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

I have a SSD 750 gig in my MBP and its partitioned for windows. I don't have a lot of room left on it, 55 gig and my photo jobs take up 50 gig per.

I have a 2014 model so it has thunderbolt and use 3.0.

I actually have two problems. My 1 gig USB drive for TM is starting to give me problems, its partitioned 600 gig for TM and 400 for extra files and I think from turning it off and on without ejecting has caused occasional hunting on the TM. I was thinking of getting another drive for storing my on going photo jobs but it would need to be fairly fast while using Lightroom and Photoshop for editing the files. I was think of reformatting the 1 gig HD hoping that it would clear up the hunting issue. However if I add another HD for my jobs I would want those files backed up by TM too. Is it possible to back up the two drives on the TM?
    Oh yeah my 1tb TM drive is usb powered,, I wonder if that's a mistake for backups?

I also have another large HD that after my jobs are done I backup too.
    I like the ongoing backups of TM while working on files in case something happens in the process.

Or if I buy a say 3k gig drive and partition it for TM say 2k gig and leave the 1k gig for additional file space for my HD It would not make sense backing up those files on TM which would be on another partition and the drive could have a failure?

I see there is a sale on SSD external drives on B&H.. 500 gig samsung usb 3.0 for $109.. or a 1 tb for $227.

Another option is going with a G tech 3tb usb 3.0 on sale ac powered for $119..
    I am not sure how fast a connection I need for editing the files.. Maybe its the uploading the raw files from my cards that only matter.

Not sure if I was clear on my needs?

Any thoughts on what to do.

2. CooperSJCW macrumors newbie

Ok.....here’s what works for me

I store all RAW and JPEG files on an ext 1TB SSD connected via USB 3.0. Lightroom is configured to store its folder on this drive also.

I recently had trouble with TM so I purchased a 4TB HDD and use this for TM back up of my 1TB fusion and 1TB SSD,

It seems you have a complex back up regime so have you thought about Synology for NAS and RAID, a 2x4 TB system should Fit your needs.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"I don't have a lot of room left on it, 55 gig and my photo jobs take up 50 gig per."

I'm curious.
    What kind of photos require 50gb of space?

4. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

Raw files, plus conversion files from weddings.