Which External HD Will Boot Tiger?

vjmacaddict

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
California
I would like to buy an external harddrive for my G4 iBook that will boot with Tiger installed on the external HD. Is that possible? If so, any suggestions which HD to buy? I'd like at least 160GB on the external HD. My internal 60GB HD is nearly full in just one year of use.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I believe any external HD will boot tiger, even the iPods.

Just start up your computer with the install disk, and when it gets time to choose the HD, choose your external. I believe it may erase your external HD as part of the install process, but I'm not sure.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Over Achiever said:
I believe any external HD will boot tiger, even the iPods.
Almost any external HD will boot. There are a few out there that work fine in disk mode, but aren't bootable. I don't know any specific ones off hand, but I do know they exist.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
this is the best hd around: it does boot tiger, is cheap, fast, small, firewire, huge capacity, good brand, looks nice.. hit me...

ipods do not install tiger.. the only way ive heard of it being done is somone copying thier internal hd contents over to it. an ipod is also unpractical because of how slow it is... your computer would really suffer.