which external HDD for USB 3.0

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Agnoslibertine, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Agnoslibertine macrumors member

Agnoslibertine

So I got a 128 gb SSD In my mac mini (2012), and I need something bigger for my video files (I love video editing).

I figure that I should get a USB 3.0. Any recommendations?
    I figure 1-3 tb should do for now.

2. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Check pricing and pick up the largest drive you can afford, personally I prefer Western Digital drives.

You can also check NewEgg and find a USB 3 enclosure then pick up any internal hard drive to add to it. Sometimes this option is less expensive for the same setup.

3. g4cube macrumors 6502a

With a Mac with Mountain Lion and USB 3.0 or a PC with Windows 8, you'll want a USB 3.0 drive that supports UAS (aka UASP) protocols for the best performance and minimal ipact on the CPU.

All of the USB 3.0 drives in the Apple Store support UAS.

When purchasing drives elsewhere, ad especially if you purchase a generic USB 3.0 chassis to build your own, you won't really know for sure whether UAS is supported.

I have the LaCie Porsche and Seagate BackupPlus drives from the Apple Store; both support UAS.

When considering a main-stream manufacturer, you'll want to be sure that you verify whether UAS is supported.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_Attached_SCSI

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

USB 3 is a step up in speed over FW 800 and USB 2. But if you want max speed for reading/writing video, consider thunderbolt drives

5. Agnoslibertine thread starter macrumors member

Agnoslibertine

yeah, but just wondering,

I have several 1tb and 2tb external drives (WB). But all are USB 2.0

Does the usb3 really make difference, considering the spinn speed is always 7200 or 5200 RPM anyway?

You see what I'm getting at?

If I get a USB 3.0 external drive, how would that really be faster for video editing, compared to using a USB 2.0?

(sorry if the question is silly... )

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Perhaps more importantly...what SATA controllers (3GB or 6GB) are inside...and what caches do they have?

7. Vidivici macrumors member

The sata version makes no difference.
    A hard drive can't achieve the sata speed
    You will get 100-120MB/s at the most , thats even under the sata-150 barrier

8. OceanFrog macrumors regular

I'm in the exact position, and I'd love to know the answer to this.

I was thinking of pulling the trigger on this ... http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expan...xpansion+USB+3.0+3.5+inch+External+Hard+Drive ... but I'm not sure if its 5200rpm or 7200rpm.

Opinions would be very welcome indeed.

9. g4cube macrumors 6502a

The new d2 from LaCie with both Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 interfaces incorporates 7200 RPM drives, and is able to deliver 180MB/sec over either interface. Comes in 3TB and 4TB configurations.

The USB interface incorporates UAS protocol for the improved performance.

LaCie also has Porsche Design USB 3.0 drives in the Apple store; P'9233 models. These 2TB and 3TB configurations. I haven't been able to find any reviews that confirm the performance, though the reviews on the Apple web site seem to be positive.

Does anyone have either of these drives and can share their experience?