Which External HDD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NtotheIzoo, Jul 2, 2007.

1. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

My laptop is not doing so hot...my little 12" PB might be dying soon which is happening at perfect time since I'm getting a new MBP in less than a month...but anywho...

Which hard-drive do people prefer:

Western Digital Passport OR Seagate Free Agent Go

I've heard rumors about the WD not working with MBP's and the like..

recommendations welcome as I will be purchasing in like 3 hours or so...thanx!!!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would highly recommend Seagate over Western Digital. I've had Western Digital hard drives hard crash on me, but never Seagate hard drives. I would also recommend Acomdata external hard drives, I have one and it works fantastically.

3. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I would recommend building yourself one, you can make them for much cheaper then a brand HD. If you would like to buy a Brand HD i would recommend LaCie or Western Digital.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I've got a Seagate. No problems and I love it.

EDIT: I personally haven't heard of any problems with WD, although I've been hearing about lots of problems with Lacie. Who knows??

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I've got a 80GB WD Passport and it works great on bus power even when my iBook G4 is running on battery.

6. NtotheIzoo thread starter macrumors regular

perfect...i'll pick up the Seagate..

I have one of these at home, but i'm working in Puerto Rico for the summer and an wanting a portable one and the enclosures are not easy to find down here. Plus, shipping costs an arm and a leg...

Thanx guys...I was leaning on the Seagate...the WD just looks so nice...