Which external HDD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by virtual, Nov 22, 2007.

1. virtual macrumors member

Just got a new iMac and want to get into the habbit of backing things up--now with Time Machine this should be easy.

Please keep in mind that I have a maximum budget of £100. :-(

Now, since I also have a Macbook here with me, what I would prefer to do is to have a externall HDD plugged into my router so it is available all over the network. However, I am not too clued up on NAS--and I believe it has problems with Time Machine, correct?

If NAS would not be a good idea, I would like to take advantage of the iMac's FW800 port. However, are there any good HDD's out there, with my budget in mind, which offer this?

If not, then I would use USB. However, I wouldn't want it to be required to be plugged into a socket.

Not too much to ask :)-/ ), anyone have any ideas, or preferences, into which option would be best for me, and perhaps reccomend one or two external HDD's?

Thank you very much,
    Virtual.

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Western Digital do the MyBook Pro 500GB for £100.

Triple interface of USB 2, Firewire 400 and Firewire 800. Cables included.
    I bought one in January, and another last month.

3. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

100% agreed. If I had such a budget, I would have already bought it.

Go get it and enjoy the space.

4. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Which external HDD?

My personal choice is Hitachi disk drives. Make sure you order an external HDD, not an internal drive.

You'll also need an external HDD enclosure, I like to buy them with a USB, Firewire 400, and Firewire 800, ports.

Never know if you're system will change requiring a different port connection.

But the biggest reason for multiple ports, is, since it's an external HDD, you may want to attach it to different computers.