Which External Monitor? Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jj48, Oct 18, 2011.

1. jj48 macrumors regular

I've currently got base 13" 2011 MBA, which I find is a great mix between portability and screen size most of the time. However I'm strongly considering buying an external monitor, because I am increasingly finding that there are occasions when I would love a bigger screen for some programming/word processing/light photo editing work at home.

Ideally I would just go out and buy a thunderbolt display tomorrow - however my budget is more in the £400 and lower region (although I could be persuaded a bit higher possibly).

My requirements aren't very restrictive:
    • 23" and above
    • <£400
    • Compatible with 2011 MBA
    • Picture looks great!

Any advice/guidance would be great. Would love to hear what you guys use as alternatives to the ATD!

2. ethanc123 macrumors newbie

3. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

4. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Firstly, make sure its LED, dont get LCD. Yes, thunderbolt would be a great choice, specially cause it would add more ports to your air.

Having said that, if you want a white monitor, you have Benq V2400 eco, or a Benq Haier 24"

If you want a black monitor, simply go to a store and get any Samsung or LG screen. Seriously, its like picking up coca-cola at the market, any bottle is the same.

5. simsaladimbamba

Not if one values good colours and viewing angles.

6. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

Samsung makes some good ones. Got my 21.5" for $120, 1080p.

7. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

If its 1080p LED DVI/HDMI connection and manufacted by LG/Samsung...its all the same. They all have good colours/viewing angles

Having said that, Benq is very strong in Europe, right? They are also very good, you should probably find a nice Benq monitor

8. jj48 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ok thanks for the advice guys. I was already looking at the Samsung displays - I like their design. Will also consider benq as they seem to come highly recommended.

9. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Let's not confuse the OP.

All panels are LCD -- that describes the display itself.

Some panels have LED backlighting, and some panels have CCFL backlighting.

If possible, OP, get a display that uses an "IPS" LCD panel rather than a "TN" LCD panel. You might have to dig deeply into the specs to find the panel type, but it's going to be there somewhere.

I prefer LED backlighting, given a choice, but I'm happily using a Dell U2711 with its CCFL backlighting.

That LED-backlit Dell looks pretty sweet.

10. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

One of the best monitors out there at the moment. 24 inches, 1920x1200, quality is out of this world, and price is $505

Dell UltraSharp U2410