Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Supercell

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
Hello,

I ordered my first rMBP 15" (High End) a few days ago and I'm also thinking of buying one or two additional external screens for when I'm using my rMBP at my desk.

Which monitors (non-Apple) are recommended with rMBP's? 24" and Full HD.

tigerintank

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
I've always been a fan of the balance Dell strike between quality and cost effective - i'd be looking there

jerrykur

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
There are a lot of good monitors out there. I also like Dell monitors. I do software development and photography so I need panels that calibrate well and are easy on the eyes. I am looking at a pair of 24 inch Dell U24xx's right now. They are reasonably prices ($250 each).

Had I not gone with Dell, I would have selected the Samsung Sync Master series. The good models are about the same price.

NativeTxn

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2013
I recently bought a couple of these from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009483

Don't know if they would fit the bill for what you want them for, but they are more than sufficient for my uses (which is to have dual monitor capabilities while I'm working, so I can have my work stuff on one monitor and everything else on the other).

Got them for the sale price ($129.99), $1.98 for "3-day" shipping (which actually made it in two days), and found another 5% coupon online, so both monitors made it to my door in two days for just under $250.

No complaints thus far.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
The Dell u2711 have been amazing in the 3-4 years I have had it. Wonderful Display, for gaming, movies and photo editing:) 97% sRGB spectrum:D

Supercell

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
There are a lot of good monitors out there. I also like Dell monitors. I do software development and photography so I need panels that calibrate well and are easy on the eyes. I am looking at a pair of 24 inch Dell U24xx's right now. They are reasonably prices ($250 each).

Had I not gone with Dell, I would have selected the Samsung Sync Master series. The good models are about the same price.

I'll also be using my Mac for software development. My current monitor is a Samsung Sync Master, but its already 3+ years old. Wonderful display.

I might go with two Dell U2414H when it becomes available later this month in the store for The Netherlands.

Supercell

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
It just occurred to me, how do I connect two non-Apple external screens to a rMBP (late 2013)?

The geometry of the Thunderbolt ports look the same as a DisplayPort. Are these compatible?

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
It just occurred to me, how do I connect two non-Apple external screens to a rMBP (late 2013)?

The geometry of the Thunderbolt ports look the same as a DisplayPort. Are these compatible?

you will need a thunderbolt to display adapter which you can buy on Apples site. But rMBP is powerful enough to support 3 display. if your crazy you could try 4 displays with the HDMI port. (dont do it:p)

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Hello,

I ordered my first rMBP 15" (High End) a few days ago and I'm also thinking of buying one or two additional external screens for when I'm using my rMBP at my desk.

I have a Dell u2412m. It's great, and it has displayport for native support on macs.

----------

Yes, mini-displayport and thunderbolt are completely compatible. Thunderbolt was actually built around mini-displayport for that very reason.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Hello,

Why wouldn't you consider the Apple displays? They are the best in the business and work great in every Mac setup.

phsphoenix

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2013
I've looked into a few external screens for my rmbp. The most annoying aspect I've come across is that I need a really expensive screen, or the resolution on the laptop will be higher than the desktop LCD I connect to it.

Supercell

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
Why wouldn't you consider the Apple displays? They are the best in the business and work great in every Mac setup.

I've worked with those a few times at work and they're indeed great displays. I was considering them, but since I just spent 2500 on the macbook itself, it would be too much. Maybe in a few months when they get refreshed and I havent bought displays yet.

I still have a 1080p monitor which I'll hook up to see if it doesnt annoy me when both the macbook screen and external screen are different resolutions. That's what I'm worried about the most when buying lower resolution screens

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
So, I don't need a converter right?

Just a displayport to mini-displayport cable

----------

I would not consider an apple display for a bunch of reasons:

1. costs more than the competition that uses the same exact panel
2. glossy only
3. thunderbolt only, so it only works on macs and a couple PCs. If thunderbolt does not catch on, or if I wanted to use it on a PC one day, i would be out of luck.
4. Only 1 input at a time. The competition has multiple inputs. For instance, on my dell u2412m, I have my mac on displayport and my xbox 360 plugged into VGA. It also has a DVI port, which I might use one day for something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.