Which external Seagate go flex HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by i4k20c, Sep 7, 2011.

1. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

So I am debating between two external seagate go flex HD's and am wondering what to do.

I already purchased a 1TB go flex 5200 rpm hdd for $75 but haven't opened it as I wanted to read some amazon reviews first.

When I went to amazon, I realized that seagate 750gb go flex 7200 rpm hdd is selling for $70 and that had me confused. :eek:

I plan on getting the FW 800 adapter and than the thunderbolt adapter when it is released (or possibly just waiting for the thunderbolt adapter).

I guess i'm just wondering if the speed diff in HDD will be noticeable with either FW800 or TB.

I'm hoping to use the HD for both as a backup of my documents & music; as well as storing movies on it to edit/watch. Movies can range from a 100-500mb (slideshows esque videos created or small skits in iMovie) to HD rips (2-6gigs??).

thanks. :apple:

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Faster drive speed means data is read faster the interface you use (USB, FW800) plays with how faster the data will transfer. Data transfer speed is determined with both interface and drive speed. Personally I choose capacity over speed because the interface you use will always slow you down. You can't be comparing apple's and oranges either.

I have a 1tb WD My Book. The drive speed is about 5900 RPM I can backup my drive much faster using FW800 rather then USB 2.0.

3. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Hm. okay, thanks for the info! :)

It looks like I should be fine with my 5400 rpm drive than?

I did have another question also regarding backup solutions. I'm not yet sure if I want/need my backed up documents & music to be read by a windows computer. However, I would need the videos/slideshows to be read/write to a windows computer.

Part of the reason I chose this HD is the NFTS driver included. Would it be possible to partition part of the drive to HFS (for use with time machine) and allow the rest of the drive to be NFTS (for use of the files I need b/t mac & windows)?

4. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

To my knowledge it isn't possible here's what I did I have the 1tb my book for time machine backups and I have a portable 1tb drive (formatted in FAT32 for windows/mac compatibility) for most of my files. Everything is backed up to my PC with 4tb of hard drive space.

5. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I've experienced significant performance increase in file transfer between 5400 rpm vs. 7200 rpm drives over USB 2.0. Naturally, FW800 or Thunderbolt should see performance improvements; therefore I would suggest getting the 7200 rpm drive IF you plan to move files around often and in large quantity. Otherwise 5400 rpm drives will be just fine. Personally, I always get 7200 rpm to reduce transfer times.

6. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Would you say transfering maybe once every week or two of 5-10 gigs split between maybe ~4-7 files is a large quantity?

Do you feel that with 7200 rpm, videos in HD playback any faster and/or better when playing off the 7200rpm HD?

7. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

With the type of tasks you're describing, 5400 rpm is fine. If you're constantly making backup of the entire drive (like I do every few weeks) then the 7200 rpm drive is worth it. You shouldn't see any difference between HD playback from the drive.

8. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I consider anything over 25gb large quantity. My backups are usually several hundred gb.