Which external sound card should i buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Samarium, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Hello i own a M-Audio X session pro mixer and i use it with torq. I need an external sound card for live performances, which one should i buy?

2. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

There are a few things you haven't mentioned. Are you using a MacBook or a Pro? What are you looking for in an interface--do you simply want a main out and a cue out or are you looking for two pairs of RCA outs? Do you want it just for the audio outputs or are you also looking for inputs from external audio sources (turntables, CDs, mixers, voice, etc.)? And, the ever important price range.

For my Windows laptop I used an Echo Indigo DJ PCMCIA card and loved it. low profile and good sound quality for my non-pro purposes. I saw someone on the forums here mention Echo was finally coming out with one for the express card slot in the MBP. I emailed Echo to find out when and they said...well, I emailed 'em from work, but one of those M-months -- March or May. I can update later if no one else chimes in.

Aside: what's your take on the X-session pro? I've been thinking of getting one.

3. Illan macrumors newbie

im with him on this quetion i learning to use ableton live and would like to use it for dj live

4. qsoundrich macrumors member

I've got the same situation. I have a Macbook with the xsession pro. I really just need 2 separate outputs--one for my headphones/cueing and one for a line level output to my stereo. I'm considering getting a cheapish USB sound interface like the Griffin Imic to send out to the stereo and using the internal card for my headphones, but I don't know if that will work.

5. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

Doh! I didn't read your sig and you did specify external...so the Indigo DJ express card (which isn't even out yet) isn't an option.

A couple of choices with no person recommendation or experience by me:
    M-Audio Fast Track Pro
    Numark DJ/iO
    Native Instruments Audio 8 DJ Audio Interface

I actually just bought an iMic to experiment with. You can create an "Aggregate Device" in the Sound preferences to use both the headphone out on the compute ad the output of the iMic. I d/led a demo of traktor to experiment with, but this combination causes playback problems for me that I haven't resolved yet. I'll try it out w/ other programs soon, but this looks like a decent inexpensive option. I bought it for $29.95 shipped free from Amazon (though I don't see that available at the moment) and it's quite decent for the price and small which is important for me.

6. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

Alright, now I'm piling on, but... The winter NAMM show is getting underway in California. Expect new gear to be announced and this field is certainly an expanding one. Harmony Central is one of the go-to spots for new gear info. They have a page devoted to NAMM coverage here. Here's a brief pre-NAMM press release on one unit that is geared towards digital DJs - the cleverly titled ESI Audiotechnik GmbH U46 XL USB Audio Interface. I'm sure there'll be more to come.

7. qsoundrich macrumors member

Hmm looks like ESI just announced a $250 firewire interface.

8. Samarium thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Ok, so we are a lot with this. Well I have a Macbook, and i just want to perform live, i dont need any more channels, i only need one for master and one for cueing. So what do ya'll say?

9. Samarium thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

For the one who asked, the x session is great, has a good response with the programas specially with torq, but it isnt as sturdy as i would like it to be. I use Pioneer Cdjs 800 @ work but i want to try these new digital dj revolution that is going on, so PRICE is really important, i dont want to spend more $100 for this.

10. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

Less than $100 greatly limits the options unfortunately. The numark one I linked to runs under $100 (barely), but seems cheap to me, but I've never seen one in person nor do I have any experience with it.

I'd be tempted to say try an iMic and create an "aggregate device". I know that's the case in leopard, dunno if it's the same in tiger.

[update: looking at the numark DJ/iO on their website--it still looks plasticy, but it does seem to go for the price/basic needs point that other options are missing. if an iMic doesn't meet the needs, this may be something to try.]

I'm not a professional DJ, but to me the "digital revolution" doesn't seem much different than DJing with CDs--if anything, it's simply more convenient and with a greater wealth of songs at your fingertips. When I DJ publicly, I do vinyl, but I'd like to keep a laptop on hand for specific requests.

i.e. on my radio show tonight my cohost and I were talking between sets and he mentioned something that got me to almost instantly bring up a related song on my computer and completely change where we went. A lot easier with a hard drive than a crate of records or box/binder of CDs.

11. qsoundrich macrumors member

I got a USB sound card, but I have no way to create an "Aggregate Device" that I can see. I have Tiger, though. It comes up as "unknown USB sound card" and it works fine (it's a turtle beach amigo.) Do I need Leopard to do this?

12. durruti macrumors regular

durruti