which external thunderbolt ssd do i buy

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jay72, Mar 28, 2015.

1. jay72 macrumors newbie

hi
    please can someone help
    i would like to purchase a external thunderbolt ssd to use as my boot drive for my iMac but cannot get a definitive answer on which one to buy that has built in garbage disposal as i have yosemite installed on my late 2011 machine i don't want to mess with the trim enabler i was looking at either a 250gb or 500gb ssd any help would be greatly appreciated
    thanks

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You could first start by writing in coherent sentences.

I don't get what's the fuss with TRIM on Yosemite. It works fine on my Samsung 840 Pro. Just remember to disable TRIM and re-enable kext signing before applying OS point updates and there you go.

You could try the LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt enclosure.

3. jay72 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply

thanks for the reply

i looked at the lacie rugged but couldn't find if it has garbage disposal like i said i don't want to mess with trim or kext signing.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You can just take apart the LaCie rugged and put your own SSD that has garbage collection.

What's so difficult about disabling kext signing and enabling TRIM, and disabling it for updates? TRIM Enabler automates everything for you.

5. jay72 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks again

maybe I'm not making myself clear i CANNOT find a external thunderbolt ssd 250gb/500gb that says it has garbage disposal

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Buy a thunderbolt enclosure (no drives), and then buy SSDs that you wish to put in them.

----------

A simple search on newegg.com reveals a number of thunderbolt enclosures that may fit your needs and then buy the SSD that has the features you wish.

7. jay72 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply

enclosure coupled with a owc ssd will do the trick just a shame i cannot find a all in one solution

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its generally cheaper and you're better off creating your own solution as you have final say on the enclosure and SSD.

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Almost all recent SSDs have some form of garbage collection but be advised that it is not the same as TRIM, nor will it perform the same functions.

I agree with the advice already given to you in this thread.

10. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

Lots of ssd's have a version of garbage collection in them. No trouble finding them. If the Rugged is what you want then you need to make a call and find out what ssd is in it. Takes less time than going to a forum.

Makes more sense to me to build your own. Cheaper and no pigtail which strikes me as a pain at best and a failure waiting to happen.

I'm on my 3rd Crucial. About once a month I boot the Mac at the select startup drive screen and leave it there overnight (option key). Allows garbage collection to work unimpeded by system processes. They've been in internal slots as well as several mobile and desktop OWC external enclosures. Work fine.