which eyetv

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ajo, Nov 7, 2007.

1. ajo macrumors 6502

Im looking to order eyeTV with my mac.

Can anyone advice on which I need as they are all confusing me a little.

I live in the UK, I duno if that effects what I can recieve. Do I need to plug the house ariel in? Which ones pic up digital (freeview). Plugging a games consol will be a plus but not really really needed.

I am confuesd with the older version and the 250 (power version) what are the advantages.

I dont want to overspend but want to get somthing that is going to work well.

Thanks for any help

ajo

2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Hi.

It would be very useful to know what mac you have. If you have a newer machine (Intel mac / G5) then you should be fine with something like the eyeTV Hybrid to pick up digital freeview. I use one on my mac mini and it works great.

The reason you need a relatively fast machine is that the small USB-stick style drives can't handle the decompression by themselves so it uses the computer to convert the signals into picture.

If you have a slower machine then you can look at one of the larger, set-top box style machines which will handle and the decompression for you.

With the eyeTV hybrid I get all the freeview channels including stuff like Sky News, Sky Sports News and Sky 3. It is pretty comprehensive. I too am in the UK and I just use my main house connection.

I know that the eyeTV Hybrid has a game console mode where you can connect an S-Video input and play on your mac. Obviously you won't get top picture quality but you won't get any lag that you would normally get from playing a console through your mac.

I hope this helps.

3. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

Il be getting a 24" imac 2.4 so should handle the USB one fine I guess.

Was thinking though, will a slingbox work well/better as we have cable installed in the house.