Which Facebook app is the best? Friendly Facebook Browser or Social for Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by mikale44, Sep 3, 2010.

1. mikale44 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I've been looking around on the appstore and several times was tempted to buy the Friendly Facebook Browser, originally 4.99 and now 0.99 for limited time. But now i noticed that there's a new app called Social for the Ipad at 1.99 introductory price.

Has anyone have any experience with both?? Major differences?? Which one did you buy?

Thanks

2. longdogs macrumors regular

3. spurbs macrumors member

I bought the Social app and like it a lot so far

4. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

I have both but I still get back to the Safari browser one. :(

Both are lackluster.

5. aimee25 macrumors member

Push notifications.

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, I don't mind using facebook on safari but I would use either if the had push notifications. Do either of them?

6. jparris1 macrumors regular

I have both and prefer Social for now. It offers more of the full Facebook functionality, and seems less buggy. Hopefully they will both be updated regularly.

7. SaMaster14 macrumors 6502

Friendly doesn't have push notifications (or at least it doesn't pop up on your screen like the iphone facebook app, and the notification numbers don't pop up on the icon either (you have to open the app and check it).

I haven't tried social... but I"m thinking of purchasing it anyways... since Friendly hasn't been too friendly with me lately :p

8. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

9. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

On the iPad I access Facebook through Safari. I'd rather be in the real thing rather than through some developers dream of it. I don't get why there has to be a Facebook app on the iPad when accessing the internet on the iPad is such a pleasure, it's the right size and everything. It's, in part, what it was designed for.

On the iPhone though, it's a smaller device and I use the avctual Facebook app on the iPhone. Yes, it can be accessed through Safari there as well, but the screen size makes it more difficult.

10. hoing macrumors member

11. NateEssex macrumors 6502

News feed not working?!?!

I just bought Social because of the recommendations & the news feed is not working?! The screen remains blank even after reloading? I do have a JBed iPad. Ugh...

12. geWAPpnet macrumors newbie

It's a known problem with Jailbreak iPads. The developers will fix this, although I don't think that fixes for the Jailbreak community should be a priority. Social works perfectly on normal iPads.

13. igetit macrumors member

igetit

I want to know if Social has a chat feature too... That's the only reason why going on Facebook on Safari is not an all in one solution.

14. longdogs macrumors regular

Social and Friendly both do chat.

15. igetit macrumors member

igetit

Thanks! Is one better than other regarding the implementation of the chat feature?

16. longdogs macrumors regular

Much the same to be honest. List of users on the left, chat transcript on the right. My guess is that they're both using facebook's web pop-out chat as the basis of theirs.

I'm currently having a problem with Chat in Social, the user list isn't formatting properly. There's an update with Apple at the moment, so hopefully that will fix it.