Which fan affects GPU

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Nighthawk00, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Nighthawk00 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I've had some sensor problems with my iMac and I have written a small python script to keep the fans from running at full speed. Of course I want to make sure that the fans aren't running too slow!

I have a 2009 27" iMac (bought it just when they came out). These iMacs have 3 fans: ODD fan, CPU fan and HDD fan.

I was wondering which one of these 3 affects the GPU? I have tried to google this question and I also tried to find where the GPU is located alas with no result. Hopefully someone can give me the correct answer.

Thank you.

2. macdudesir macrumors 6502

The ODD fan I do believe. For two reasons I say this, people here on macrumors told me and the gpu is right under the odd...and I have seen that fan speed up when playing a game ;) hope I helped!

3. Detrius macrumors 68000

No, it's the CPU fan. The GPU *is* right next to the optical drive, but its heat sink runs off to the left, and it's attached to the CPU heatsink, with the same fan blowing through both.

4. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

5. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure the closest fan to the GPU is the HDD fan, but the closest fan to its heat sink is the ODD fan. I believe the ODD fan is the fan you want to look at.

6. Detrius macrumors 68000

I double-checked. On that specific model, it is the optical drive fan; the heatsink goes off to the right. On most iMacs, though, it's the CPU fan.

7. macdudesir macrumors 6502

in this picture, you can see the ODD fan (bottom right) and the ODD (middle right) and then the GPU heat sink right above the ODD (top right)...the ODD fan is the closest to the GPU...correct me if I'm wrong please ;)

Picture credit goes to www.ifixit.com

Attached Files:

8. Nighthawk00 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Detrius macrumors 68000

On the late 2009 27" iMac, yes it's the ODD Fan for sure.

10. macdudesir macrumors 6502

Yes it is. ;)

11. Nighthawk00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all very much for the quick and friendly answers.