Which fan affects GPU

Nighthawk00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
Hey,

I've had some sensor problems with my iMac and I have written a small python script to keep the fans from running at full speed. Of course I want to make sure that the fans aren't running too slow!

I have a 2009 27" iMac (bought it just when they came out). These iMacs have 3 fans: ODD fan, CPU fan and HDD fan.

I was wondering which one of these 3 affects the GPU? I have tried to google this question and I also tried to find where the GPU is located alas with no result. Hopefully someone can give me the correct answer.

Thank you.

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
The ODD fan I do believe. For two reasons I say this, people here on macrumors told me and the gpu is right under the odd...and I have seen that fan speed up when playing a game ;) hope I helped!

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Asheville, NC
No, it's the CPU fan. The GPU *is* right next to the optical drive, but its heat sink runs off to the left, and it's attached to the CPU heatsink, with the same fan blowing through both.

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
I'm pretty sure the closest fan to the GPU is the HDD fan, but the closest fan to its heat sink is the ODD fan. I believe the ODD fan is the fan you want to look at.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Asheville, NC
I double-checked. On that specific model, it is the optical drive fan; the heatsink goes off to the right. On most iMacs, though, it's the CPU fan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.