which fan control better for macbook retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anonymous4a, Aug 22, 2013.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

Hi, I've been looking for a fan control app that automatically adjusts the fans depending on the temp of your computer, so far I've found Ultrafan and Fan Control for Mac, which is better for Macbook retina ?

2. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

The fans already change speed depending on temp, no need for an app to do it. What are you wanting the app to do differently? Just be more aggressive and run the fans faster at lower temps?

3. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, start the fans sooner. usually when gaming, the fans start up too slow and my computer is already pretty hot .

4. ViennaXP macrumors newbie

smcfancontrol....
    (It doesn't overwrite the automatic speed up and you can't set speeds ,which are too low).

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I also use SMC...It's a free App, and can be started as required so that it doesn't sit in memory unless you need it...I only use it to check the fans from time to time. Mostly the rMBp takes care of it's own heat control very well..Don't be worried about the heat...it's normal, and all Intel based Macs have a built in protection circuit which will shut your Mac down if the temps. reach critical levels.

6. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Keep in mind that the fans are always running, you just can't hear them until the RPMs are nearing max. Running the fans at a higher RPM sooner won't reduce your max operating temps one bit but can help keep it a little cooler under low-load conditions.

If your CPU is hitting 100C with the current fan settings then it will hit 100C even if the fans come on sooner; The fans don't cool the CPU/system down and then spin down, then back up, then down, when under constant load. High load = high temp = constant high fan speed. A 3rd-party fan control app won't do anything for that.

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Don't think the rMBP needs it as much as my older 2008 MBP, but I've used fancontrol for years. It lets you customize a more aggressive fan usage if you'd like. As temps rise, more fan speed, temps drop less fan speed. You can control left and right independently. I forget which is which, but one is more GPU and the other more CPU cooling.

If you are using the full rMBP horsepower, it will get just as hot regardless of fan control.