Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordi2830

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
Hello, I own a 2010 13" MacBook Pro model (2,4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo).

A few weeks ago my fan started to make a weird grinding noise, which after a few hours suddenly disappeared.
Since then the sound came back a few times, and went away a few hours afterwards. Sometimes it evens starts making a very loud noise, like the fan got stuck and its still attempting to spin or something.
I mean seriously.. This thing makes about the same amount of noise as my vacuum cleaner. This just can't be good for my machine.
So I'm going to buy another fan, and hope this issue is resolved then.
The only problem is that I'm not quite sure which one to buy. (I'm not going to buy one from Apple or Ifixit, as they charge so much for a simple laptop fan, its just criminal)

I was looking on Amazon, but the only one I did find was this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EiioX-Cooling-Apple-MacBook-A1278/dp/B009A6L0G8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370693615&sr=1-2&keywords=macbook+pro+fan

That one only states its compatible with the late 2008 and late 2009 models though.

So my question is, will this fan fit in my 2010 model, or will I need to buy another one?
If I need to buy another one, which one?

Thanks! :)

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Did you open up the machine to clean the fan first? I had a very similar problem with my fan a while ago, and after I clean it the problem went away. So maybe no need to buy a new fan.

jordi2830

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
Did you open up the machine to clean the fan first? I had a very similar problem with my fan a while ago, and after I clean it the problem went away. So maybe no need to buy a new fan.

Yes I did, I cleaned the machine and used compressed air to blow out the fan, but it didn't fix the issue. :(

jordi2830

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
Sounds like a damaged fan.
Have you opened it and touched the fan before?
Like before it started to make these noises.

No, I have only opened my MacBook once to install 2x4GB RAM modules.

This was after my machine was already making this noise.
I cleaned my MacBook (removed the dust inside, and used compressed air to blow inside the fan)
My fan seemed silent for a few days then, but the sound came back.
At the time of typing this, the sound has stopped, but it usually comes after a few hours.

This sound is really annoying, especially during the evening/night, so I want to either fix this, or buy a new fan.

Thats why I created this topic. So please if anyone can look at my first post and tell me wether its compatible or not, I'd be really thankful :)

stephen85

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Would you be able to swap it for a new retina fan which reduces fan noise, If the whole component is too small/big could you just swap the blades ?

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
That fan won't work.

Go to the iFixit website, zoom in on the picture of the replacement fan they offer, and make note of the model# of the fan. Then Google it. Not that difficult to find a number of similarly priced options. Try eBay if Amazon doesn't have it.

jordi2830

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
That fan won't work.

Go to the iFixit website, zoom in on the picture of the replacement fan they offer, and make note of the model# of the fan. Then Google it. Not that difficult to find a number of similarly priced options. Try eBay if Amazon doesn't have it.

Are you sure that fan won't work?
By looking at the picture on iFixit and the one on amazon, you can clearly see the fans are the exact same size, it has the same type of connector (4pin) and the screws are locating on the exact same position.

iFixit:
0deb04fe17341e66e0af1128108ae0b5.png

Amazon:
31cRbVQDl3L.jpg

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Personally I wouldn't risk it, especially if there are similar alternatives out there that are identical to the iFixit model on sale and specifically state they are compatible with 2010 13" MacBooks.

But it's your call.

jordi2830

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
Personally I wouldn't risk it, especially if there are similar alternatives out there that are identical to the iFixit model on sale and specifically state they are compatible with 2010 13" MacBooks.

But it's your call.

Thats the problem, I can't find any that state they are compatible with the 2010 13" model.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Sounds Damaged/ Mechanical ..

Sounds like a damaged fan.
Have you opened it and touched the fan before?
Like before it started to make these noises.

I AGREE on the ' Sounds Damaged' part.. it is a definite mechanical sound, as if some blades are hitting something, maybe the housing is deformed, or there is a stray piece of ___ inside of it..?? :confused:

Either way, I would make sure you buy a Fan that someone reputable recommends, as the Time and Trouble to Remove and Replace will quickly be eaten up by savings if you are doing it again in a year.. Methinks.. :rolleyes:

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I AGREE on the ' Sounds Damaged' part.. it is a definite mechanical sound, as if some blades are hitting something, maybe the housing is deformed, or there is a stray piece of ___ inside of it..?? :confused:

Either way, I would make sure you buy a Fan that someone reputable recommends, as the Time and Trouble to Remove and Replace will quickly be eaten up by savings if you are doing it again in a year.. Methinks.. :rolleyes:

Yeah my old MBA was like that when I accidentally chipped the fan.
Its either something is in there, the housing is bent, or the fan itself is damaged in some sort of way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.